Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone feel that the 318 has a huge handicap over a 325?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone feel that the 318 has a huge handicap over a 325?

I originally bought my vert (92) for a daily as i have another car that i drop gobs of money into...

but i started to really like how the car handles. Having driven both a 318 and 325 on the streets (but not at a track event) my initial reaction is that 325>318

but i wanted to get first-hand experience from people out there...

does the nimbleness of the 318 make up for the lack of power at track events?

i'm mainly going to be interested in drift and gymkhana events

It depends on the course imho. Smaller / nimbler courses where "momentum" is key and you can't really take advantage of more power is in favor to the lighter / better handing car. Course where you have a longer straight is probably more in favor to the car with more power.. my 2 cents.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

The 318is isn't that much lighter than the 325is, at least not anywhere light enough to make up for the huge power difference. I own both.

Comment

Originally posted by flypenfly View Post
        The 318is isn't that much lighter than the 325is, at least not anywhere light enough to make up for the huge power difference. I own both.

318i 84 comes in at 2300 lbs, 85 325e comes in at 2600, but there is no making up for the power....unless you turbo the 318

Comment

The 318i isn't just inferior because of the motor, it also has drum brakes on the rear, not something that is generally preferable on a track car. I'd take the 325i / is and either turbo that or swap an M50, S50, M30, S38, etc into it as long as it's not going to be an auto-x-only car. If it's going to see only tight tracks, turbo the M10 or swap up to an S14.

The early 6 cylinders were around 2660lbs, whereas the later ones were over 2800lbs. The 318i is rated at 2360lbs... An early car is the best starting point for a performance oriented E30 due to the weight savings, and the early arches can house much larger tires if you have the power to put them to good use.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

A 318iC is going to suffer quite a bit because of the weight. I don't know the numbers exactly but I'd expect it to be over 2800 pounds. The 4.27 diff might help a tad, but not enough to make up for the weight/lack of torque.

According to a SpecE30 racer that has built a 318is for the SO class, his shakedown testing claimed to be not much slower than 325i SO class laptimes. Time will tell when someone campaigns a 318is SpecE30 against the 325's.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Mc View Post
              According to a SpecE30 racer that has built a 318is for the SO class, his shakedown testing claimed to be not much slower than 325i SO class laptimes. Time will tell when someone campaigns a 318is SpecE30 against the 325's.
              Take that with a grain of salt, I mean it was Rob who said that. . . .

Besides, even if it is one second of the pace (which is doubtful), it'll be 10-15 seconds off the lead at the end of the race. That is an eternity on track.

My SpecE30 comes in at 2750 WITH driver.

JP
              sigpic
              DE's are a tease.
              Build a racecar.

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                The 318i isn't just inferior because of the motor, it also has drum brakes on the rear, not something that is generally preferable on a track car. I'd take the 325i / is and either turbo that or swap an M50, S50, M30, S38, etc into it as long as it's not going to be an auto-x-only car. If it's going to see only tight tracks, turbo the M10 or swap up to an S14.

The early 6 cylinders were around 2660lbs, whereas the later ones were over 2800lbs. The 318i is rated at 2360lbs... An early car is the best starting point for a performance oriented E30 due to the weight savings, and the early arches can house much larger tires if you have the power to put them to good use.
                Drum brakes FTL.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

do the 1991 318is's come with drum brakes.?
                  1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
                  1987 e30 325 eta
                  1983 e28 533
                  2001 x5 4.4l
                  1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
                  1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by 155///MPH View Post
                    Take that with a grain of salt, I mean it was Rob who said that. . . .

Besides, even if it is one second of the pace (which is doubtful), it'll be 10-15 seconds off the lead at the end of the race. That is an eternity on track.

My SpecE30 comes in at 2750 WITH driver.

JP
                    Yea, there didn't seem to be much info on it but I figured it was worth mentioning. BTW, awesome to hear you got a podium at Rockingham!

Comment

Originally posted by mitch500 View Post
                      do the 1991 318is's come with drum brakes.?
                      No
                      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Working...
                      X