Want to buy a digital SLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a sony A100 and love it
    In July 2005 Konica Minolta and Sony made an announcement that they were to jointly develop digital SLR cameras. This agreement hinted at shared technology between the two companies such as auto focus, metering and Anti-Shake coming from Konica Minolta and sensors, electronics and batteries from Sony. Some six months later Konica Minolta dropped a bomb on the camera market by announcing that they were withdrawing from the camera business and had transferred certain camera assets including the Maxxum/Dynax lens mount and related SLR technologies to Sony.
    sigpic
    Bmw 332i 260whp 240wtq N/a
    Lexus GS400 280whp

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
      Are you fucking retarded? I was saying you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. Going with one of those gives you room to grow.

He didn't say

Canon OR Nikon OR Minolta did he?

He pretty much did:

1) Sony a230
      2) Nikon D40
      3) Canon Rebel XS

I think hes getting at the fact that sony isnt really just sony. In reality its more like sony-minnolta

Maybe someone knows the details better, but Sony pretty much picked up where minnolta left off

Comment

i dont want to read this whole thread, but please realize that the d40 is now 3 years old, and you can get the d3000 (the replacement for the successors to the d40) with a lens for under $600. i think its like $500 on newegg.com right now.
        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys. I am in a photo class right now and have maybe taken 250+ pictures with a 20 yr+ film slr camera on full manual mode. I want to upgrade because that camera I have does have an intermittent light "leak" and messes up the exposure.

I also have a P&S that I use and I know the differences of the two and the capabilities that the P&S and slr can offer. I will get a more entry lever camera, most likely the Canon XS kit ($450) because that is really all that I need because I am a beginner and getting a higher level is just silly.

I would rather spend a little less on a body and then upgrade the glass as needed. This seems to make the most sense overall.
          Originally posted by cabriodster87
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
          Originally posted by Kershaw
          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Are you fucking retarded? I was saying you can't go wrong with Canon or Nikon. Going with one of those gives you room to grow.

He didn't say

Going with Sony gives you room to grows as well...

Comment

also read this thread

http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

He didn't say

lol! e-thug at it's best. Sony makes ELECTRONICS. They actually made the sensors for select models of both Canon and Nikon DLSR's. What they don't make is lenses. That is where Carl Zeiss and Minolta came in, they both produce the lenses for Sony's cameras. Konica Minolta teamed up with Sony in 2005 and nearly all the older Konica Minolta AF lenses fit on the Sony Alpha DSLR's.

Let me know how you propose out growing a $2,700 full frame 25 megapixel Sony a900 with a $6,300 300mm f/2.8G Sony-Minolta super telephoto lens.

*EDIT*
                The only reason I don't like Sony is because for the cost of that $6,300 lens I can get a Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS and a full frame Canon 5D brand new. The Sony-Minolta lenses are outrageously priced. I was given the opportunity to receive ANY Sony Alpha DLSR for $150 new via one of the Sony movie sound editors that rents race cars from the team I crewed for. $150 for a DSLR would be an awesome deal right? Sure if the lenses didn't cost 50+% more.
                Last edited by speedminded; 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM.

AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY │ JASONTBARKER.COM

Comment

Originally posted by speedminded View Post
                  lol! e-thug at it's best. Sony makes ELECTRONICS. They actually made the sensors for select models of both Canon and Nikon DLSR's. What they don't make is lenses. That is where Carl Zeiss and Minolta came in, they both produce the lenses for Sony's cameras. Konica Minolta teamed up with Sony in 2005 and nearly all the older Konica Minolta AF lenses fit on the Sony Alpha DSLR's.

Let me know how you propose out growing a $2,700 full frame 25 megapixel Sony a900 with a $6,300 300mm f/2.8G Sony-Minolta super telephoto lens.

*EDIT*
                  The only reason I don't like Sony is because for the cost of that $6,300 lens I can get a Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS and a full frame Canon 5D brand new. The Sony-Minolta lenses are outrageously priced. I was given the opportunity to receive ANY Sony Alpha DLSR for $150 new via one of the Sony Movie sound editors that rents race cars from the team I have crewed for. $150 for a DSLR would be an awesome deal right? Sure if the lenses didn't cost 50+% more.
                  And a lot of Nikon LCDs on their cameras from what I understand. Maybe Canon should look into Sony making their LCDs...

Comment

*EDIT*
                    The only reason I don't like Sony is because for the cost of that $6,300 lens I can get a Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS and a full frame Canon 5D brand new. The Sony-Minolta lenses are outrageously priced. I was given the opportunity to receive ANY Sony Alpha DLSR for $150 new via one of the Sony movie sound editors that rents race cars from the team I crewed for. $150 for a DSLR would be an awesome deal right? Sure if the lenses didn't cost 50+% more.
                    Thanks captain obvious... everybody knows what Sony makes. :zzz:

Now you are suggesting a $2700+ for the OP? Guy is looking for his first DSLR.

Get real.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                      And a lot of Nikon LCDs on their cameras from what I understand. Maybe Canon should look into Sony making their LCDs...
                      Canon's newer lines have incredible LCD's. The first time seeing the 50d blew me away after staring at the XTI for 3 years and 125k+ shots lol! The pro body 20D and 5D MkI is even smaller and worse than the XTI...but they fixed that with all the new models. The 50d has a 920,000 pixel count resolution which is 4 times better than the 40d.

Comment

Canon's newer lines have incredible LCD's. The first time seeing the 50d blew me away after staring at the XTI for 3 years and 125k+ shots lol! The pro body 20D and 5D MkI is even smaller and worse than the XTI...but they fixed that with all the new models. The 50d has a 920,000 pixel count resolution which is 4 times better than the 40d.
                        Yes they FINALLY fixed that problem.

Comment

Thanks captain obvious... everybody knows what Sony makes. :zzz:

Now you are suggesting a $2700+ for the OP? Guy is looking for his first DSLR.

Get real.
                          Aside from you not knowing Minolta and Sony are the same, you said there's no room to grow with anything outside a Canon or Nikon.

Did I tell anyone to buy a Sony a900, Canon 5d MkII, 1D MK IV, or a Nikon D700 or D3x? Sony makes nine (9) DSLR bodies and offers dozens of lens choices with hundreds of previously made Minolta lenses fitting as well. I mentioned their highest end body to prove a point, what is there NOT to grow on? Sony DSLR's are an incredible product, just too rich for my blood.

Comment

I have a d40 and love it.

Comment

Aside from you not knowing Minolta and Sony are the same, you said there's no room to grow with anything outside a Canon or Nikon.

Did I tell anyone to buy a Sony a900, Canon 5d MkII, 1D MK IV, or a Nikon D700 or D3x? Sony makes nine (9) DSLR bodies and offers dozens of lens choices with hundreds of previously made Minolta lenses fitting as well. I mentioned their highest end body to prove a point, what is there NOT to grow on? Sony DSLR's are an incredible product, just too rich for my blood.
                              Sony a700 has a metal dust sealed body with built in image stabilization and rocks the same LCD and image sensor (not processor though) of the d300 for quite a lot less money. And there is a minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 for like 800 on the used market. So they really are worth loooking at I suppose. Although I prefer the ergonomics of my d200 a lot more than the a700.
                              Originally posted by z31maniac
                              I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

my sony alpha 300 stock lens

:borg:

Comment

Working...
                                X