One Pic: Still Learning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Pic: Still Learning.

Got my IS lip on and thought i'd take a picture. I still need some better framing and to work on my clarity. Not sure what i need to do to get the "crisp" picture. I'm not talking about adjusting the sharpness in PS either.

C&C welcome and wanted.
    -tim
    Originally posted by Jordan
    I like the stance
    -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

What kind of look are you going for?

Are you shooting RAW?

Something like this, or a different look:

Mind you, photobucket degraded it a bit

Comment

What's your ISO set at?
      Try going a bit lower..

Originally posted by Janderson
      you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by theox69 View Post
        What's your ISO set at?
        Try going a bit lower..
        I'm not sure why you made this suggestion?

Picture doesn't look noisy to me?
        Originally posted by z31maniac
        I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
          I'm not sure why you made this suggestion?

Picture doesn't look noisy to me?
          Not so much noisy; but if he wants it to be clearer, an ISO of around 400 helps bring out colors more clearly. That might help his pic.

Originally posted by Janderson
          you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

i honestly dont think that picture was above ISO 400. It couldve been, but probably isnt necessaryy to be that high with those conditions..

Comment

Oh, the EXIF does show ISO 400. I'd agree, with a rebel in these conditions a lower ISO would have been fine. I'm not sure much would have changed though.
              I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Stephen - I wasn't going for any "look" just taking a picture. This isn't for a sig, or anything of that nature. I'm looking for Photography advice. I know how to use computer programs, but I want a clearer, more laid out photo to begin with.

Theox69 - The ISO for that picture was 400 and I used a tripod. I think my main problem is using the focal field. I manually selected the focus point for the camera to use, but it still doesn't come out as clear as I would like.

87e30 - Any ideas on the technical or structure/form? I'm using a Canon Xti with the 18-55 kit lens.

I just looked at the logged info, and exposure time was 1/125, focal length was 24mm, and was shot at f/7.1

Any ideas from that. All of the numbers seem fine. I've heard the kit lens for Canon isn't the greatest.
                -tim
                I like the stance

Comment

to answer your "sharpness" question, much of that has to do with the kit lens - but honestly i think it looks pretty good in that regard.

at f/7.1, your depth of field is not an issue. everything in the shot is technically "in focus".

in terms of framing the shot, i really like these kinds of shots. the only issue i have with it is that immediately after i looked at your car (the first thing i was drawn toward), i looked up a bit to the bright white pillar that goes right through your sunroof, and that detracts a bit.

can someone please explain to me how shooting at a higher ISO improves image quality? that doesn't make any sense.

---
                  a general note on photographing cars: use as long of a focal length as you can. in your case, 55mm. but i understand that with this shot you are going for a whole scene, not just the car.
                  http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

The car is pointed off of the screen drawing your eye left and leaving the entire right side of the image open and distracting in my opinion. I also find the dock right behind the car to be distracting, and the brightness of the building makes it really hard to expose for the car and not blow out the walls.

I think lighting is what it comes down to for a "crisp" image as you put it.
                    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Got ya. Thanks a lot for the feedback. You've both made valid points and it will help a lot.

Daniel - I see what you mean about the pillar - It bothers me too. To add to it, the light on the windshield directs your vision towards the pillar even more.

87e30 - The direction of the car makes sense. Basically I need to put the extra space in the direction the car is pointing, similar to your sig. It would be nice for the background to be less lighted since it is white. Maybe I can fix this in PS; other than that I would need to invest in some lighting.

Once again, thanks guys.
                      -tim
                      I like the stance

Comment

another thing for car placement. have you heard of the rule of thirds? if not, look it up. it makes a lot of sense and comes in very handy, especially when cropping stuff.
                        http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Yeah, I know about the rule of thirds. The closest piece of my fender was my focal point. It probably would have helped if I was @ 55mm and then framed it.
                          -tim
                          I like the stance

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                            Got ya. Thanks a lot for the feedback. You've both made valid points and it will help a lot.

Daniel - I see what you mean about the pillar - It bothers me too. To add to it, the light on the windshield directs your vision towards the pillar even more.

87e30 - The direction of the car makes sense. Basically I need to put the extra space in the direction the car is pointing, similar to your sig. It would be nice for the background to be less lighted since it is white. Maybe I can fix this in PS; other than that I would need to invest in some lighting.

Once again, thanks guys.
                            What others said, too much center syndrome and the bright white "column" growing out of the roof is a distraction. Personally I would crop it between the man-door and the no smoking sign but that still doesn't fix the distracting column.

If you are using a stable tripod there is no reason to be at ISO 400, I'd go for 100 or 200. The f/stop is all right, could be more, but I don't know what the hyperfocal distance would be without being there.

The Rebel kit lens is soft, it doubtful it will get much more crisp than what you did. Careful post processing may make it better but not the sharpen tool. There are plugs-ins available that do a better job or even run a really light high pass filter over it.

Photobucket degrades the quality as well as being a .jpg.

AUTOMOTIVE PHOTOGRAPHY │ JASONTBARKER.COM

Comment

Originally posted by speedminded View Post
                              What others said, too much center syndrome and the bright white "column" growing out of the roof is a distraction. Personally I would crop it between the man-door and the no smoking sign but that still doesn't fix the distracting column.

If you are using a stable tripod there is no reason to be at ISO 400, I'd go for 100 or 200. The f/stop is all right, could be more, but I don't know what the hyperfocal distance would be without being there.

The Rebel kit lens is soft, it doubtful it will get much more crisp than what you did. Careful post processing may make it better but not the sharpen tool. There are plugs-ins available that do a better job or even run a really light high pass filter over it.

Photobucket degrades the quality as well as being a .jpg.

This is what i was going to get at.. But you pretty much covered it.

Its going to be hard to judge the clarity with a jpg of the size you posted, most likely degraded by image hosting. Get some better glass if its really bothers you but that will most likely do.

Other than that, the other tips on compostion are about spot on

Comment

Working...
                              X