Odd Car Behavior on Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Car Behavior on Track

I spent yesterday at NHIS and had a great day with COM. Was recommended for licensure and can begin doing timed runs by car classification, and compete. Can finally get a read on my track performance outside of the instructors comments - not that I will abandon this but its nice to see my times without getting in trouble for it. Anyway, the 3rd run of the day was going great until I began feeling my car surge occassionally. Seemed to be during 3rd gear accelarations over 5000k. It was an alternating surge every few seconds, very consistently spaced. I also began to feel the engine almost shut off (sort of like hitting the rev limiter) at one point but it only seemed to occur when hitting the peak of a large hill. Once over the hill, the engine would perform well. Anyone experienced anything like this?
    Driving is the only way to go faster....

..the closest I have experienced to that was in a car with bad ignition components..the wires were completely fried! How good are your motor mounts and intake bellow? It could be that either is flexing at high loads...worth a shot to check em out if you already haven't .. oh and also check your battery cables..one time I literally drove the car with no battery as a cable popped off for some weird reason and that's how it behaved.

HTH

Eric

Comment

Food for thought:

How much fuel did you have left in the tank? Low fuel levels and prolonged cornering and acceleration could cause fuel starvation as the gas sloshes right to left and such making it hard for the fuel pump to pick up fluid.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Mario

Comment

..the closest I have experienced to that was in a car with bad ignition components..the wires were completely fried! How good are your motor mounts and intake bellow? It could be that either is flexing at high loads...worth a shot to check em out if you already haven't .. oh and also check your battery cables..one time I literally drove the car with no battery as a cable popped off for some weird reason and that's how it behaved.
        All wires and ignition are new this year. I'm running 9mm high performance silicon wires, new bosch ignition components, motor mounts were replaced this past weeked, and I have just reinstalled the bellow, and its in great shape.

How much fuel did you have left in the tank? Low fuel levels and prolonged cornering and acceleration could cause fuel starvation as the gas sloshes right to left and such making it hard for the fuel pump to pick up fluid.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
        Fuel was between a full tank and half tank before the end of the day. Also the fuel filter was replaced about 3 months ago.

Anyone have any other ideas? I was thinking something may be wrong with engine internals, or my ecu is bad. Are there any symptoms that would suggest that either of these might be the reason. I'll be doing a compression test next weekend. Maybe I'll also check the vacuum lines.

Comment

It sounds like lean missfire(not enough fuel). Maybe look into your fuel system, or get your Air/Fuel ratio checked. HTH,
          -Ted

Comment

The A/F ratio seems right on according to my gauge but I'll use my other one with an actual reading instead of cool lights. Maybe I'll also recheck my pressure since I've adjusted it a few times due to mods.

Comment

Just turn it up for one run and if it doesn't stutter, then that's your problem :P

Comment

I've experienced a surge type feeling before in my car, but it was due to my O2 sen. I could drive the car the "check eng." lite would go on, the car seemed to have more power, then the lite would go out and the car felt like I just let off the gas.
                Although, I get a feeling like that too, if I try to top out a gear (4th on a long stretch of highway) at 125mph it stops pulling like I just attached a trailer, it slows to 120mph then picks up again, keep in mind I topped the car out once when it was an auto. I think it has to do with my ecu being that my car was an auto, and now is a man. gear box. :?
                Hope this may give you some ideas of what else to possibly check, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X