Crank bolt removal? Impact doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m having loads of trouble removing my crank bolt. I’ve used 2 impacts and then bought a harbor freight impact that’s supposed to be good for 1200 ft lbs and the bolt still won’t come off. I even got it to where I wasn’t using any extensions but no luck. If anyone could give me any advise that would be great. Or if someone has the crank holder tool in the Houston area that would be even better.

What air compressor and PSI are you running?

3/8 lines and fittings?
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

I got a second crank pulley and welded a piece of 2" angle to it. Then got a massive breaker bar onto. And put a 4foot length of pipe on the breaker bar.

Comment

Running a pretty large compressor don’t know the size. And 90 psi with 3/8 hose like the impact recommends

Comment

Originally posted by ErickEnriquez View Post
          Running a pretty large compressor don’t know the size. And 90 psi with 3/8 hose like the impact recommends
          Most air tools 'recommend' 90 psi, but really most shops run 120 psi. Working air pressure vs static air pressure means that if you set your compressor to 90 psi static pressure, when you use the impact, working pressure will be around 60-70psi.

Hopefully you have 3/8 NPT fittings on your hose; if not, remove any quick connects and run the line straight into the impact.

Advertised breakaway torque means very little, you want to be looking at the max working torque.
          Last edited by noid; 04-28-2019, 07:43 AM.
          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Use the crank holding tool and a breaker bar with extension (I use my floor jack handle). You'll want this anyway unless you plan to use the impact to replace it
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by ErickEnriquez View Post

hey just fyi don't run a regulator at all.
              the 90psi at the tank is like 70psi when u pull the trigger and 50psi at the gun after the hose and the fitting.

There are high flow milton fittings that work and you should use them for

high flow work like this.

i'm just saying because also had this problem with an aircat i thought it was
              a pile of shit but turned out to be my setup.

That shit spun the nut off so fast after that it was the setup.

also 50-60ft hose length kills allot of power for real a 25ft will help a ton but do that last if u need to.
              better yet don't even run a coupler on the tank just run the hose straight tank.

for now just since ur in a pinch just run the hose to the gun with no couplers or regulator,
              put alittle squirts of gun oil in to seal the vanes and it should rip.

Comment

Are you rebuilding the engine ? If not ...big ass bar with a big ass pipe and big ass friend is you best bet. I would highly recommend not to use the impact gun on the crank. Crank thrust bearing won’t like all that beating.... if completely rebuilding....different story

As far as the holding tool...go to HD and get 4-5’ long iron stock, half moon notch it for the bolt spacer and drill 3 holes to bolt to the crank gear.... under $10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I made a tool to span over the crank pulley bolts. Some are super easy to remove, some take around 300 foot pounds (if I had to guess a number).
                  Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Silly question but is the engine still in the car and is the transmission in gear?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Borrow either the big Dewalt or Milwaukee battery powered impacts. I bet your HF gun at low pressure isn’t giving you much.
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

If the crank is moving at all while you're using an impact, it will not work.

A few tips... really want to be at 120psi

wait until the compressor shuts off at max pressure before using it.

put a little oil down the fitting on the impact gun

and make sure that crank doesn't move a MM while trying to loosen it..
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Sorry just looked back at the thread. Someone on revlimited messaged me and had the tool locally and I got it off with that and a pipe. Thanks everyone.

Comment

For what its worth I have never encountered a fastener that my harbor freight 1/2 inch drive electric impact has not been able to remove. The truth is my Bosch 18 V handles 90% of what I encounter and I do a lot of old car/truck work but when things get really ugly the harbor freight 120 V has never let me down. That and MAPP

Comment

mine was surprisingly easy...

i just locked the crank in place using a wrench on the little alignment cylinder for the flywheel and jammed that against the motor stand

18 inch breaker bar on the crank bolt with the top of my jack handle on the end of it for about 3 feet of bar... popped right off
                              Last edited by hotsaucewizard; 05-04-2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X