X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trackable street car?

Nope - streetable track car for me.

I am doing the following:

GC Coil over kit with the camber adjusters.
    Koni Adjustable shocks.
    Front and rear strut braces (not sure what brand yet)
    tree house racing cab's.
    new control arms and tie rods because - well I need them anyway.
    eibach front and rear anti roll bars.
    M3 (e30) front stut housings and all the fixings.
    Rear M3 e30 trailing arms.
    M3 CSL wheels.
    CF hood - not sure what kind.
    Roll Bar - not sure what kind.
    Massive Brakes.
    Exhaust not sure why kind...

Thoughts? After all, you guys are the experts - not me. I need to be able to drive the damn thing.
    '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Save yourself some money and make the car more attractive to sell later by simply building the suspension to the SpecE30 specs:

Bilstien Sports
    H&R Race springs
    All poly or delrin bushings
    GC Camber plates
    IE or ST sways

Skip the CF Hood - waste of money
    Skip the Massive brakes - your car won't go fast enough to need them. Just run some Hawk HT-10 pads on track with ducting.
    Skip the 5 lug - unnecessary

If you get the roll bar, spend the money you saved on Suspension, brakes and the hood and get two nice fixed back seats with 6 point belts and a Hans.

Keep it simple and spend the money to be safe. Fast is a relative term anyway. I was a full second faster at VIR this past weekend on the SE30 set up than I was on my GC coilover set up.

JP

PS - we had 27 Spec E30's at VIR this past weekend. . . .
    Last edited by 155///MPH; 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM.
    sigpic
    DE's are a tease.
    Build a racecar.

Comment

Originally posted by 155///MPH View Post
      Save yourself some money and make the car more attractive to sell later by simply building the suspension to the SpecE30 specs.

CF hood is unneeded.
      Massive brakes are unneeded.
      If you get the roll bar, spend the money you saved on Suspension, brakes and the hood and get two nice fixed back seats with 6 point belts and a Hans.

Keep it simple and spend money to be safe. Fast is a relative term anyway.

JP

PS - we had 27 Spec E30's at VIR this past weekend. . . .
      Enough to have your own race group it looked like . . .
      Current Cars
      2014 M235i
      2009 R56 Cooper S
      1998 M3
      1997 M3

Comment

Interesting. With all the "talk" I thought that GC coil over was the "only" way to go. I am a mile second from plunking down the $$ for it. However, I do NOT want to spend $ on items I really do not need.

adjustable ride height has to be a benefit right?

-Josh

sigpic

Comment

Thats why I want GC on my delphin over lowering springs, I want the perfect stance...
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

the biggest reasons to get a coilover kit are to corner weigh your car and so you can run whatever spring rates you like.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had coil-overs on my M3 and the E30. Once I set it, I never touched it again.

As far as the "stance" is concerned, we are talking about two different worlds of cars. Mine is a race car, I didn't build it for looks.

I was suggesting the spec suspension simply because SE30 is growing substantially. If you were to sell your car down the road, it would be VERY easy to sell it as a candidate car with the spec suspension on it. If you are just starting out on track, you'll be slow with whatever you get. There is no "wrong" choice here, both are good options. However, having had both on my track car, I'd go with the SE30 suspension.
              sigpic
              DE's are a tease.
              Build a racecar.

Comment

Again, why are you replacing the entire rear trailing arm? They are identicle.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post
                  Enough to have your own race group it looked like . . .
                  You'd think. . . but we ended up on track with GTS, American Iron, and CMC!

There were 90 cars in our race.

JP
                  sigpic
                  DE's are a tease.
                  Build a racecar.

Comment

might be easier than changing bearings/pulling flanges.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 155///MPH View Post
                      You'd think. . . but we ended up on track with GTS, American Iron, and CMC!

There were 90 cars in our race.

JP
                      SO I guess it was staggered start? I saw someone's video from the rainy day and I only saw little boxes . . .
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by e30 Groupie View Post
                        Again, why are you replacing the entire rear trailing arm? They are identicle.

I might be able to get some cheap - and I do not have a press. ;)

sigpic

Comment

Rear camber/toe adjustment. If you're building SE30, you're stuck with bushings. If you're building a track car, the IE kit seems to be the favorite. Do this when you replace the subframe bushings or you'll end up having to pull the subframe all over again.

Comment

I have some local guys that play at http://www.scda1.com/ and I am planning on joining.

I am really learning about the car (I know the car on the street) and I want to be able to have all the settings I can, to really tweak the car into the car I need/want. I am a total track newb, and I am not afraid to admit it. This group as said (above) is a great group to be involved with. I am happy to get some real good guidance.
                            Last edited by VAPORBLADE; 02-27-2007, 06:35 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I am really learning about the car (I know the car on the street) and I want to be able to have all the settings I can, to really tweak the car into the car I need/want. I am a total track newb, and I am not afraid to admit it.
                              I second 155///MPH's suggestion. Especially if you don't have a significant amount of seat time already. Set the car up with a Spec E30 suspension and use the money you saved for more DE's. Until your skills are pretty well honed you'll simply confuse yourself (and your instructor) with an adjustable suspension.

Another advantage of a Spec E30 configuration is that there's a good chance of having an instructor at a DE that has experience in a Spec E30. That means that as soon as he/she gets in the car they know exactly what the car is capable of and how to get the most out of the car. That's a greater advantage than you might appreciate right now, but it will help a lot in developing your skills.
                              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                              X