Which should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which should I use?

I'm planning on attending a few HPDEs this summer. Money permitting I am going to buy a fresh set of r-comps. But, until that happens I want to make use of what I have. On my current wheels (16x7 bbs rk) I have a set of Kumho Supra 712s at 205/40/17. On my spare bottlecaps I have a set of Falken Azenis rt-615. So my question is, which will provide me with better grip? I suspect the Falkens will depsite their smaller size and contact patch, but I wanted some experienced opinions.

So what do you guys think? Kumho or Falken?

Thanks,
    Thomas

id say use the falkens, i have driven a few cars with them on and they are very sticky, (Of course u know that).

I havent driven ant cars except a 300zx TT with kumho Supras and it didnt handle very well, mind it did have 535rwhp so i doubt anything could REALLY hook up with that. seemed like good tires in the turns tho kinda soft sidewall.

that is my review... others need to put input in on a car that has driven with a little less hp and could actually get on it in the turns without fear of boost and sliding out.
    Dan Zickel
    1995 M3, 1991 318iS, 1987 325iS

Comment

bottlecaps + azenis is what I'd use simply because they're so cheap and good

This season I'm going to use some very ungrippy tires in an effort to learn to drive smoother!

Comment

If this is your first HPDE being on a set of street tires is better than being on something with a lot of grip. Street tires will audibly announce reaching the limit of grip and progressively slide. R-Comps or Max Performance summer tires are less forgiving and tend to suddenly let go. After a few DE weekends, when your skills are more highly developed, you can start to think about higher perfromance tires.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The rt615s are light years better than the supra 712s. I've had the 712s, and have the rt615s now, there is a huge difference even though they aren't as wide. I would not learn on R-compounds though, they aren't as forgiving as jlevie said above, when they go they go and if you don't have enough seat time you will not save it.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

thanks for the imput!!

i've done one other hpde, and that was on these azenis. so i guess the concensus is the azenis are still the better choice. and for the record, from what little hard driving i've done on the kuhmos, they arent nearly as progressive as the falkens.

thanks
            thomas

Comment

Working...
            X