Project E30 Track Debut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project E30 Track Debut!

Well, our 6month long project finally got to see the track this weekend. We headed to Buttonwillow for a 2-day BMWCCA driving school. We've only put about 80 miles on the car since it's been ready to drive, and the majority of those miles was to a San Diego GTG event.

Details of the buildup are here.

My buddy and I both shared the car, so between the two of us we put in 8 solid sessions and 2 full tanks of gas.

Weather was absolutely fantastic for BW standards. Mid 80's and no WIND! The group of drivers was fierce. Had a 997 GT3 RS (replica) in the mix in my group.

And a host of M3's, MCoupes, 335's, and other really quick cars out there.

How'd the car do? Absolutely fantastic! Car couldn't have performed any better for our first time out there with this. Handling was surprisingly neutral with our H&R Coilovers. Toyo's held up great for all 8 sessions. Brakes worked a bit too well and would probably need a little work. I think our M/C is too small for the E36M3 calipers we're using. So the first bit of the pedal was soft, but then it bit like mAd.

Overall we couldn't be more pleased with the outcome so far. We ended the day with a lumpy idle, which we think is due to a small vacuum leak somewhere. Otherwise, we just got our spare 2.3L S14 motor delivered Friday. :)

Onto some pics.

A nice sequence of shots passing an E46 M3.

And on the following lap, another pass...

Some nice closeup shots from the pro of me..

335 giving the Point By

My buddy making the pass on a Lancer Evo8(?)
    Last edited by Mike@PureMS; 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM.
    Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Wow, nice pics!

Congrats on wringing your car out on the track!

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

very nice! i so wanna hit up a track sometime.

Comment

track toy...

car looks bootifulllllll.......nice work.

I read the build up kinda....

........can you tell me @ the oil filter relocation kit?.........price......avail?.....ease of install....thanks!!!!
        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JoelRKaplan View Post
          car looks bootifulllllll.......nice work.

I read the build up kinda....

........can you tell me @ the oil filter relocation kit?.........price......avail?.....ease of install....thanks!!!!
          Thanks. It's just a ~$40 kit from Summit or Jegs. I can't recall.
          Pretty standard relocation kit I've used on a couple previous cars. Uses plain rubber hoses will soften up after a couple years. I'd recommend going with steel braided, or better quality hoses if you plan to keep it long term.
          Mike

Comment

filter re location....

..sorry for the OT....

Mike feel free to pm me.......

..so is this like a simple.." plug the oe holes and re install elsewhere" kind of thing?..........just childs play?... Im very interested......tia!
            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

way to go! nice rep for e30 :up:
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I know everyone else was hating, but I really like the way those wheels look on there.. too bad they're probably heavy!!
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Looks like you did great. E30 powa!
                  :: PNW Crew ::
                  '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Im glad to see the car performed so well Mike. Keep it up and cant wait to see an in car video.

Widmer

Comment

Dope! :-D The car looks like a Hot Wheels car with those rims... me likey. How are you going to go about finding the vacuum leak?
                      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

can't see the picts......

Comment

So Mike, are you guys gonna be able to get it out to the BMWCCA autocross next weekend (27th)? It's in the West lot at Qualcomm, so you get lots of room to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Carufel View Post
                            So Mike, are you guys gonna be able to get it out to the BMWCCA autocross next weekend (27th)? It's in the West lot at Qualcomm, so you get lots of room to play.
                            I'll try to make it!
                            Do they have noise restrictions there? The car is a bit loud right now and needs a new muffler.
                            I haven't done an autox in probably over 10 years. Should be interesting.
                            Mike

Comment

It's fairly loosely enforced. There are some loud ass cars there. I wouldn't worry about it...

My S50 E30 will be there and it's loud as all hell.

If you can make it, can you bring 4 of the BBS 0923221S caps? I want to check them against the one I have (and test fit one to the centercap) and if they work I'll have my checkbook with me to scribble you a check.

BTW online registration is available so that you don't have to get there at 6AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X