X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrable.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      I am thinking of trying to build a half decent desktop this summer. It'll be my first desktop since like 2005 (which I used up until ~2010)

I nabbed a computer that was rotting in my FSAE shop. It supposedly didn't work, but it seems to be alright. It has a first gen i5-661 which is pretty ancient, and 16gb of ram because it was a solidworks bitch whenever it was actually used. Nothing else to mention about it, either bare minimum or severely out-dated bits everywhere else.

So far, I've acquired a used GTX 1070, a wireless card, a 120gb SSD to throw a free student copy of win10 on, and a relatively nice 650W power supply.
      It'll probably run like shit, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
      I have a co-op job this summer, and I'll probably do new CPU/mobo/ram then.
      you should look a the AMD offerings for new mobo/cpu set ups my 2600 is kick ass for the price and the new 7nm stuff should be even better!

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
        you should look a the AMD offerings for new mobo/cpu set ups my 2600 is kick ass for the price and the new 7nm stuff should be even better!

This is the current plan, works out to $800ish (note, CAD not USD). Hoping the AM4 is around for another generation yet.

I'd like to buy faster ram, but the internet says latency is more important so I'm trying to opt for that within my budget. A nice motherboard to a point, and the best processor in the series.
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I'd just wait like another few months for Ryzen 3X00

why you gettin 32gb or ram?
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

Even with 16gb on my laptop, if I have solidworks open and have chrome open long enough, sw starts spamming memory warnings at me. Mostly just an issue with chrome, but it can't hurt.

I'm not opposed to waiting for a newer gen, (or still doing a 2700x slightly cheaper?) but I'm probably going to buy in may/early June and whatever is out then is what I'll get I guess.

Comment

Damn solidworks sounds like more of a ram hog than premier pro lol
              willschnitz

Comment

probably don't really need it unless I open our FSAE full car cad and want it to work smoothly. File size for the full car is ~3gb but I'm not sure how that translates to how much it takes up when opened.

I can open it now even with 12GB, but solidworks screams in agony. Also, 3/4 of the car is suppressed by default so its not really fully open.

Comment

Yeah Yeah I know few of you will care in this thread but the greatest SciFi FPS of all time is coming to PC in totality.

Halo's Master Chief Collection is going to be available on PC this year(ish) with ALL the halo titles other than 5. Dropping in Chronological order of game events, Reach, CE, H2 H3 ODST, H3 and H4. All Campaigns and Multiplayer modes will be available with theater and forge modes as well.

Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Actually pulled two old xbox consoles out of storage, connected them with a cross over cable and had a Halo CE/H2 party with bbq cookout this past weekend.

Comment

and just yesterday I tossed my last 360 and controllers and so on in the trash. lol
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

So god damn excited, on STEAM too!
                        willschnitz

Comment

I doubt it but I am wondering if there is going to be cross platform compatibility for MCC as I will be adopting it on PC as, it will make things much better while I travel for work as I can then just bring the laptop and leave the Xbox at home. If there is cross platform I can still play with the usual crew, and my doubles partner.

William Pitt-

Comment

Random question: I build a custom gaming chair for racing games (seating position akin to F1, laid back seat) with a Fanatec GT2 Wheel and their Clubsport pedals. Also had a custom leather cushion made for the chair. I havent used it much at all and want to sell it... any ideas where I could post such a thing? Facebook? Craigslist?

Comment

Got Monster Hunter World over the sale. Anyone play? Also play Arma 3 quite a bit, Dirt Rally, whatever. MuDuRkKiO on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by dsobering47 View Post
                                Random question: I build a custom gaming chair for racing games (seating position akin to F1, laid back seat) with a Fanatec GT2 Wheel and their Clubsport pedals. Also had a custom leather cushion made for the chair. I havent used it much at all and want to sell it... any ideas where I could post such a thing? Facebook? Craigslist?
                                I sold my whole racing rig (Fanatec CLS Elite and pedals, R1 seat) for ~$100 less than i bought it for via Craigslist. Took awhile for bites, but didn't have to worry about shipping. It took longer to sell my other 2 55" TVs oddly.

Comment

Working...
                                X