M20+5sp pull - binding at rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20+5sp pull - binding at rear

(apologies for posting this in my M20 forum thread and here - trying to get a lot done this wknd)

I'm having a similar issue to these folks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCA83se5eE

When using a load leveler the motor wants to bind at the rear and lift the car, not the motor. From that video it seems a very extreme lift angle is needed. Maybe the chain on the rear hoist point I have set up is too short? If anyone can give me a basic description of how the motor+trans pull went for them w/r/t angles and load leveling I'd appreciate it.
    Attached Files

If you didn't remove the shifter then it could be hanging up on that. Yes, rather extreme angle with tranny attached for harmonic balancer to clear the core support. Only 6 bolts holding the balancer so maybe remove it for clearance. The other thing is normally the car is lifted/raised so there's more clearance to swing the transmission down and out.

Comment

Ive never done it but in all the pictures I’ve seen the car is high enough off the ground for the trans to go very low and this steep angle is needed to wiggle it out.

Also, in pics I’ve seen, the load leveler isn’t really needed to remove the engine/trans. It is, however, needed to get it back in and also to level things out enough to mount the block on a stand or set it down on a pallet or something.

I think you’re on the right track and coming to the same conclusion. I’m also sure I’m just guessing but I’ve seen a lot of photos and read a lot of build threads.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
      X