E30 prices...Only going to keep going up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 prices...Only going to keep going up

I've been reading a lot of posts where people are lamenting the escalation of E30 prices. Get used to it because they're only going to keep rising. About 20 years ago, I spent my time fooling around with old Mustangs. I especially liked the 1968 style. Back then, with the exception of the specialty models, you could pick up one with potential pretty cheap. However, as years went by finding a good candidate for restoration or even just one ready to go became harder and harder. Why? one word, supply. Sure, there were plenty of cars available but many (if not most) of them were either beat to shit, rusted out or modded by some hack idiot.

Sound familiar?

Our cars are almost considered vintage/classic. As time goes on the demand will most certainly rise and the market for "survivor" cars will rise exponentially. Let's be honest here. For every car that has been modded/built correctly, there are 5 that are done half assed by some guy that doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Not only that, consider the number of cars that going to the junkyard or getting parted out at any one time.

I'm like the rest of you. I get a good laugh from the guy on Craigslist selling his clapped out '85 eta for $8500 and don't try to low ball him because "I know what I've got." There will always be people asking too much for there cars. However, real prices are on the rise and they are only going to keep rising. The trend is here to stay.

Good. The sooner we can make a wider distinction between the beat to shit clapped out and hacked up cars versus the survivors and/or proper OEM/OEM+ cars, the better.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I'm still going to treat my ix like the rust bucket it is
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
        good. The sooner we can make a wider distinction between the beat to shit clapped out and hacked up cars versus the survivors and/or proper oem/oem+ cars, the better.
        qft!
        Originally posted by Andy.B
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I still see E30s all the time but I'd never want to buy them - most of them are piles of shit.

I think it would be much harder to get into them now as well. most of them are going to require basically full ground up restoration; when I got mine it was still like new for the most part so all I've had to do is maintain it. finding a clean stock, OEM+ car that doesn't need thousands to fix it is gotta be pretty tough. beater project cars are a dime a dozen though, and still relatively expensive.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've been thinking about this with my E30. I got it here on the forum sight unseen. That thing turned out to be clean beyond my wildest expectations. With 112k original miles.

My intention was to AutoX/DD it, but now I am thinking more on the lines of OEM+ resto.

Comment

The most expensive e30 I ever bought was $1200 and rusty beyond my wildest dreams. My ix was $900 I believe, and the 325 before that $500.

In rust we trust.

I probably wouldnt buy another one unless it was a clean vert I could swap all my go fast goodies over to.

Comment

First and only e30 i bought i jumped in to it too quickly and spent way to much for what it was (Needed engine swap full suspension upgrade breaks paintless dent removal) and doing all that hurt me and my wallet and made me sure i was keeping it for a long time. Now with these prices, even after all the work done, in 4 or 5 years i can sell it and make a few grand. im not complaining at all, but im still keeping it.

Comment

Great for me. I'm planning on selling this summer. The bad news, is the car I'm getting to replace it is also going up in price.

I'd like to get a sedan later on though. I don't think those will go up as much as the coupes. Hopefully.

Comment

Yeah, around here you get to decide- E30 in decent shape, or E36M3.

Jeezuz.

2002's are getting eclipsed by E30s.

Poor E21, nobody ever loved it. I predict it'll be the truly collectible one
                    in 50 years, as they're all getting scrapped.

Or not.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I bought my first e30 for $1300, early 318i. It was really clean with little to no rust, sold it because i wanted a late model.

Bought my second for $2000, I kind of regret it now because of all the rust I found :/

Now I want another in better condition, but prices keep going up... I should've kept my early.
                      IG: @_j.wn

Comment

You guys have to deal with rust even in CA? Shit. I must've gotten really lucky to find mine which has ZERO rust, especially considering I'm on the east coast.

Comment

dam right prices are going up, its like when s13's and s14's became popular, I would see them shits everywhere! my buddy has a pretty clean sr20 swap in his and I kinda wanted one for a while. I wanted an S13 coupe with a silvia front end and throw a 2jz in it but the prices were high for those cars too, then I started looking at E30s, and since Ive wanted a BMW since I was a kid, I figured why not go for an E30. found mine and I got it for $2,500. same day I saw it I bought it.
                          Originally posted by dvck
                          I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

I picked up my '91 auto laguna coupe for $1000 3 years ago. I doubt I could find one remotely this decent for under $2000 today.
                            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

$750 in 2013 for a late model 325i coupe wasn't too bad then, eh? I feel lucky to have dodged the E30 tax like i did... all i hear about is how over-priced they are these days. Even shit-box E30's go for a couple grand around here...

Can you blame the sellers though? It's an awesome chassis that has gained cult status.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Working...
                              X