smoke with s52 obd1 conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoke with s52 obd1 conversion.

getting smoke on start up and acceleration. how to prevent? oil catch can? anybody have an insight on this they can provide?i know bmw had an oil seperator on the obd2 setup.
    1989 325ix(sold)
    1989 325i sedan s52 powa (current)

Oil burning or coolant? what color is it? How is your current crank case vent set up? How many miles since swap?

Comment

Change to 5w30 Liquimoly and see what happens. I've had a few cars that it has significantly helped with oil consumption/smoking on.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

is that bmw LL01 austin? Just curious. What oil you running and weight lenwood?

Comment

Re smoke

Problem pretty much solved. Have an e34 dipstick. Changing over to an s52 dipstick with vent line for catchcan and crankcase. Should solve the smoke problem
          1989 325ix(sold)

Comment

How are you routing that? Also that dipstick won't fit in the oil pan. You will have to cut the drain tube off and weld it to the e34 tube.

Comment

re

got it zeke, between the 2 ill get it to work
              1989 325ix(sold)

Comment

m54 swap time

Comment

Originally posted by Lenwood View Post
                  getting smoke on start up and acceleration. how to prevent? oil catch can? anybody have an insight on this they can provide?i know bmw had an oil seperator on the obd2 setup.
                  There is no difference mechanically in functions between a s52 and a M50b25 with vanos.

CCV is not something that prevents oil burning - its actually known to burn alot of oil when it fails.

IF you have an obd1 converted anything that smokes you should leak down the motor. I would hope that @ the bmw dealership there is a tech who has a leak down tester and knows how to use it.......

if the motor is burning oil its either burning oil from the valve stem seals or the piston rings; the S52 is known for burning oil from dead piston rings /worn pistons - Yes the pistions wear, no there is no magical way to fix this besides changing piston rings and or changing pistons to new.

How do I know? been there done that (many times); worn out s52 = burns oil..... sometimes a cloud.

my honda insight with almost 400k does not burn any oil......at all. or leak any at all

Leak it down. then you will know

asking the interweb to diagnose your problem does not help you.
                  OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
                  X