No announcement yet.

*KITS HAVE SHIPPED* 5 Lug and BBK Group Buy Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign me up for mine being made for z4 hubs as well!

Comment

make mine for the z4 hub pls.

Comment

I guess unless anyone says otherwise, Ill run them all to Z4 hubs?
        The Lineup in order of appearance:
        91 535i
        91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
        91 325is w/ S52
        88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
        88 M3 ;D
        91 325ix 5 speed
        89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
        73 2002
        1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
        1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
        1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
        1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
        Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

unless that 4% strength reduction will make them flex, ya, sounds good.
          if anyone needs that extra 2mm, spacers are $10. vs $494 for the rear m3 hubs.

Comment

If anyone is interested in looking in to the E30M3 vs Z4 hub changes, Djmack talks about it in the previous group buy (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=383082) around post #110-#118. Here is #118 quoted, showing his setup:

Originally posted by Djmack View Post
            If you look closely, the blue anodized surface is gone from the bracket (shaved). And this is also a decent example of what i did to extend my brake line.

(Use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...giikdkpmcpkaon to see photobucket image.)

With all that said, I have heard that there can be differences in the 530i and 540i carriers/calipers, so go z4 hubs with shaved brackets at your own risk.
            "Bayerische Motoren Werke - freude am fahren."

Brandon {Current: 1991 318iS, 2007 328i, 2014 X5 xDrive35d | Past: 1992 525i, 1997 528i, 1999 540i}

Comment

In for a set for the e30 m3 hubs! I think I sourced a set.

This should retain e-brake and ABS functionality without any modification?

Will I need a 14mm spacer for the back?

Is there a way to not have to run spacers or roll fenders?

What's the approximate delivery date?
              sigpic
              1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
              I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed response with the calcs. Life and other excuses, etc... Here's my half-assed explanation of the calculations, paint images and all.

*DISCLAIMER*
                I MAKE NO GUARANTEES FOR THE STRENGTH OF THIS BRACKET. USE THIS PRODUCT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Like any engineering problem, it's simply a matter of solving a series of little problems that ultimately solve the big problem. So we want to know the stress (engineer for strength) at the bracket during maximum braking. What creates stress? Forces. What creates the force at the bracket? The brakes. How do the brakes create forces? Friction at the pad/rotor reacting against the tire force at the road. How do the tires generate forces? Normal force and slip. We'll start here and work our way back.

When you hit the brakes, the car pitches forward. This is known as weight transfer, and it directly effects the normal (downward) forces at the tire. Here's the visual:

The bottom calculation is for the change in normal force during a 1g deceleration event (I have data of my E30 pulling 1g on shitty no-seasons). For the rear I subtracted that value from the static rear weight distribution to end up at 3634N. The numbers I'm using are based on the corner weights from my stock Touring. This is actually a worse case than a coupe or sedan because of the extra normal force over the rear.

To find the longitudinal tire force, you need the tire normal force and tire data. The latter is extremely expensive to find accurately, so this is the biggest assumption in this whole process.

Based on research, most tires put out a 1:1 ratio of normal force to longitudinal force at optimal slip (at least in the E30 range of normal forces), i.e. 3000N of normal force is capable of producing 3000N of longitudinal force. Higher performance tires can do higher so I assumed a 1.1:1 ratio, which I ballparked to 4000N of longitudinal force.

Plugging in the tire force into a free body diagram of the tire-brake assembly, we get this:

Converting to torques, we can solve for the force at the caliper:

The caliper bolts to the bracket with two bolts, so the load is shared equally.

Now that we know the force at the bolt we can analyze the stresses in the bracket. The bracket and caliper combo function as a single-shear pin joint. In all cases of my analysis, bearing strength was always the limiting factor, so that's what I'll highlight here. Using 6061-T6 for the bracket, I ran the numbers through an online calculator:

I don't have the actual bracket dimensions, so I eyeballed it and guessed 15mm for the full version and 13mm for the shaved version. As you can see, the bracket is plenty strong under sustained braking, even assuming a heavy ass and higher performance tires. The actual strength reduction in this case was 7% because I used normal tires in the previous calculations. Also note that these calculations do not take into account shock loading or thermal effects (which are significant), however even with a safety factor of three it is nowhere near maximum allowable stress.

Feel free to pick apart my calculations; all criticisms welcomed.
                -----I drink and I know car things-----
                1989 325i Touring - Daily W.I.P.
                ->https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=398457

Comment

Originally posted by -J- View Post
                  Sorry for the delayed response with the calcs. Life and other excuses, etc... Here's my half-assed explanation of the calculations, paint images and all.

*DISCLAIMER*
                  I MAKE NO GUARANTEES FOR THE STRENGTH OF THIS BRACKET. USE THIS PRODUCT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Like any engineering problem, it's simply a matter of solving a series of little problems that ultimately solve the big problem. So we want to know the stress (engineer for strength) at the bracket during maximum braking. What creates stress? Forces. What creates the force at the bracket? The brakes. How do the brakes create forces? Friction at the pad/rotor reacting against the tire force at the road. How do the tires generate forces? Normal force and slip. We'll start here and work our way back.

When you hit the brakes, the car pitches forward. This is known as weight transfer, and it directly effects the normal (downward) forces at the tire. Here's the visual:

The bottom calculation is for the change in normal force during a 1g deceleration event (I have data of my E30 pulling 1g on shitty no-seasons). For the rear I subtracted that value from the static rear weight distribution to end up at 3634N. The numbers I'm using are based on the corner weights from my stock Touring. This is actually a worse case than a coupe or sedan because of the extra normal force over the rear.

To find the longitudinal tire force, you need the tire normal force and tire data. The latter is extremely expensive to find accurately, so this is the biggest assumption in this whole process.

Based on research, most tires put out a 1:1 ratio of normal force to longitudinal force at optimal slip (at least in the E30 range of normal forces), i.e. 3000N of normal force is capable of producing 3000N of longitudinal force. Higher performance tires can do higher so I assumed a 1.1:1 ratio, which I ballparked to 4000N of longitudinal force.

Plugging in the tire force into a free body diagram of the tire-brake assembly, we get this:

Converting to torques, we can solve for the force at the caliper:

The caliper bolts to the bracket with two bolts, so the load is shared equally.

Now that we know the force at the bolt we can analyze the stresses in the bracket. The bracket and caliper combo function as a single-shear pin joint. In all cases of my analysis, bearing strength was always the limiting factor, so that's what I'll highlight here. Using 6061-T6 for the bracket, I ran the numbers through an online calculator:

I don't have the actual bracket dimensions, so I eyeballed it and guessed 15mm for the full version and 13mm for the shaved version. As you can see, the bracket is plenty strong under sustained braking, even assuming a heavy ass and higher performance tires. The actual strength reduction in this case was 7% because I used normal tires in the previous calculations. Also note that these calculations do not take into account shock loading or thermal effects (which are significant), however even with a safety factor of three it is nowhere near maximum allowable stress.

Feel free to pick apart my calculations; all criticisms welcomed.

Wow this is amazing! Great work.

I sent out an email to everyone that paid so I can get an accurate count of kit configuration. They are being machined these next two weeks and I should have them to customers mid-april!
                  91 535i
                  91 325is w/ S52
                  88 M3 ;D
                  91 325ix 5 speed
                  73 2002

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                  1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                  Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -J- View Post
                    even with a safety factor of three it is nowhere near maximum allowable stress.
                    Such is design, haha.

Thanks for sharing the calculations you did, very thorough.

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                    I sent out an email to everyone that paid so I can get an accurate count of kit configuration. They are being machined these next two weeks and I should have them to customers mid-april!
                    Thanks for the timeline update. I just saw your email now - gmail put it as "Promotions" so glad I checked.
                    Last edited by BBDirtbiking; 03-26-2018, 12:43 PM.
                    "Bayerische Motoren Werke - freude am fahren."

Brandon {Current: 1991 318iS, 2007 328i, 2014 X5 xDrive35d | Past: 1992 525i, 1997 528i, 1999 540i}

Comment

so it says m3 hubs & 540i calipers
                      or z4 hubs & 530i calipers.

What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                        so it says m3 hubs & 540i calipers
                        or z4 hubs & 530i calipers.

What's the difference?
                        I have heard that 530i and 540i calipers are different? But also have heard they are the same. I have confirmed 530i calipers work with Z4 parts so that's what I recommend with that setup.
                        91 535i
                        91 325is w/ S52
                        88 M3 ;D
                        91 325ix 5 speed
                        73 2002

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                        1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                        Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
                          In for a set for the e30 m3 hubs! I think I sourced a set.

This should retain e-brake and ABS functionality without any modification?

Will I need a 14mm spacer for the back?

Is there a way to not have to run spacers or roll fenders?

What's the approximate delivery date?
                          Sent you a PM but I believe your inbox is full.
                          91 535i
                          91 325is w/ S52
                          88 M3 ;D
                          91 325ix 5 speed
                          73 2002

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                          1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                          Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                            I have heard that 530i and 540i calipers are different? But also have heard they are the same. I have confirmed 530i calipers work with Z4 parts so that's what I recommend with that setup.
                            i see. but they also work with the m3 hubs or no?

i'm asking on bimmerforums see of those guys know if there's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                              i see. but they also work with the m3 hubs or no?

i'm asking on bimmerforums see of those guys know if there's a difference.

I know the 540 calipers work with E30M3 hubs, because thats what I used.

The Z4 hub is thinner, so the thinner brackets shift the entire assembly over to match.

If the calipers are really the same, either would work. The bracket decides which hub is needed.
                              91 535i
                              91 325is w/ S52
                              88 M3 ;D
                              91 325ix 5 speed
                              73 2002

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                              1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                              Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

ok but the same rotor is used on both m3 and z4 hubs
                                and the only difference in the adapter on the z4 is shaved down 2mm
                                if it's just the caliper then it doesn't matter.
                                i'm guessing you're talking about the the brackets being different?

To me it looks like calipers are the same
                                The 99+ brackets looks like they get pushed out 3mm. is that what you have?

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X