Tach going to 1000 when car is shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach going to 1000 when car is shut off

I probably already know the answer to this (SI batteries). But today this just started, that when I shut my car off the tach returns to 0 like it should but soon after it jumps up to 1000. While running everything works like it should. But the SI lights go off after about a min of running. They been doing that for about a year now. I did take the cluster apart and everything looked clean.

Just wanting to reconfirm my thoughts on it being the batteries or maybe something else.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Did it jump to 1000 after shutting off and stay there? I agreed that the SI batteries are most likely the cause, but I would also clean all the grounds on the main board to prevent any arcing.

Comment

I replaced mine trying to run down a tach issue which turned out to be a waterlogged ECU. It was cheap and easy. You can get a pair on ebay for about $30.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
        ....... waterlogged ECU. .

interesting....

is it you?
        Last edited by zaq123; 03-14-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Yeah it jumps up and says there till I start the car and then it reads like it should. I was looking on eBay at batteries, will pick some up here.

Also interested in how the ecu got waterlogged lol.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
            interesting....

is it you?

Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Well the batteries should be here tomorrow. But the tach stopped doing the nonsense it was doing... Still will replace them since they are the originals from 92.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Working...
              X