Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottlecap Tire Options

Hey folks,

I'm looking to keep my ride stock and put some new tires on my bottlecaps. So that means I'm looking for a 195/65/14 tire (which they don't make a bunch of anymore, of course).

I've looked around Discount Tire (Local + Direct), Pepboys, Tire Rack, and SimpleTire and it looks like these are my only options:
    Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II
    Falken Ziex ZE329
    Federal SS657

I'm looking for a good DD tire. Wet traction is very important. I won't ever be driving on snow or ice.

Falken + Federal are H-rated, Uniroyal is S or T (can't find exact rating).

Any suggestions? Are there other worthwhile models I might be missing?
    current:
    89 325i

previous:
    87 325i
    86 325 stroker frankenstein

I’m far from an expert on the subject, but I’ve gone through two sets of Falken Zeix (although in a different size) on my e30 and they were fine for DD use. Even with rear camber wear I got around 35k miles out of each set.

Comment

Speed ratings are the recommended limit for sustained high speed driving so even with H rated tire, especially on bottle caps, they are fine for a DD. I look at the rating but I buy tires but seriously, who cares if it's rated for 100 or 130mph
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I have tiger paw in stocm size on the four door with bottle caps. They work great for a daily. And look good on satin black.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Speed ratings are the recommended limit for sustained high speed driving so even with H rated tire, especially on bottle caps, they are fine for a DD. I look at the rating but I buy tires but seriously, who cares if it's rated for 100 or 130mph
          I only mention it because I thought that implied something about the softness of the rubber and, therefore, the traction performance and longevity, no?

'Tires with higher speed ratings generally have better steering response and cornering grip than lower-speed rated tires, in addition to being capable of higher speeds.'
          Consumer Reports runs the largest tire testing program in the United States. And one of the main things we've found in our testing lately is that keeping fresh tires on your car is getting more expensive. One reason for the...
          current:
          89 325i

previous:
          87 325i

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
            I have tiger paw in stocm size on the four door with bottle caps. They work great for a daily. And look good on satin black.
            Thanks! How do they grip in Texas downpours?
            current:
            89 325i

previous:
            87 325i

Comment

They have never let me spin out unless i really put the pedal down while coming out of a turn. I never feel any hydroplaning or loss of traction.

My son has some falken on the white two door in that pic i posted and they slide very easily in puddles and wet spots on the road but when dry, they hold very well

Comment

Invest in some Euroweaves for at least some better 15" tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

I was wrong on my son's car, he has kuhmos on his.

Comment

I run Toyo Eclipse 195/65/14 on my bottlecaps. They do well on dry obviously but in wet which we have a lot, i am a little more hesitant behind the wheel...

2ยข
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    '90 325i sedan daily driven
                    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Might wanna try a different size. I have run 205/60/14 on bottle caps and weaves. Nice fit. Lower sidewall. Wider tread.

Comment

Originally posted by g.ruff561 View Post
                        Might wanna try a different size. I have run 205/60/14 on bottle caps and weaves. Nice fit. Lower sidewall. Wider tread.
                        is your car lowered?
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        '90 325i sedan daily driven
                        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                        X