M3 Swaybar Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 Swaybar Links

I was looking around the web for an article on converting to M3 swaybar links up front, but I did not find very much info on it. So far, I gathered that both the m3 and the iX used the type of swaybar links which mount on the strut, correct?
    I know this was a topic on e30sport a while back, but I was wondering the stock front swaybar would be too stiff with an m3 style mount.
    Also, would e28 sway links work?
    Thanks

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
    Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
    Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Re: M3 Swaybar Links

Originally posted by Skafrog
    I was looking around the web for an article on converting to M3 swaybar links up front, but I did not find very much info on it. So far, I gathered that both the m3 and the iX used the type of swaybar links which mount on the strut, correct?
    I know this was a topic on e30sport a while back, but I was wondering the stock front swaybar would be too stiff with an m3 style mount.
    Also, would e28 sway links work?
    Thanks
    Yes, you can use M3 links. You can pick them up at the dealer for about $15 a piece (need 2). You'll need to weld brackets on your strut housings, so you can bolt up the M3 link. Ground Control (www.ground-control.com) sells these for $8 each (need 2).

Comment

thanks alot. Looks like a trip to the $tealer will be in order this weekend.

Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Here's a couple pics of my setup.

You'll be fine with the non-M front swaybar. I use a 22mm front bar with no problems, the ball joints in the front links are still in excellent condition (after 1yr).

hth

Comment

did doing this make it stiffer, and did you have to run a different rear bar to compensate?

Comment

Originally posted by Skafrog
            did doing this make it stiffer, and did you have to run a different rear bar to compensate?
            Makes it a lot more responsive and composed. Cause ya know you gotta keep your composure out there (frank). I run a 19mm adjustable rear bar (tightened up) to compensate. I could stand for a little more rear bar though. Maybe a stress bar, dunno.

Comment

hehe I am doing this in 2 weeks, already have hte swaylinks, just gotta weld the tabs on

Comment

Same, here I've got the links and tabs sitting but haven't found anyone to weld them yet.
                85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
                X