m54 bottom end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m54 bottom end

i've been comparing the m54 block and my m52 block, and they look almost 100% identical. knock sensors, crank sensor, mounts, oil filter housing, everything looks like it bolts up the same way. only differences are that there's no freeze plugs in the m54 and there is no obd1 CPS provision (for the crank pulley) on the m54, but i assume the front cover can be transferred from the m52 to the m54. i am also not sure about the oil pump situation.

my question is, can an m54b30 block be used with an m52 head and an obd1 harness?

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
    i've been comparing the m54 block and my m52 block, and they look almost 100% identical. knock sensors, crank sensor, mounts, oil filter housing, everything looks like it bolts up the same way. only differences are that there's no freeze plugs in the m54 and there is no obd1 CPS provision (for the crank pulley) on the m54, but i assume the front cover can be transferred from the m52 to the m54. i am also not sure about the oil pump situation.

my question is, can an m54b30 block be used with an m52 head and an obd1 harness?

M52 head... no.

OBD1 harness... yes.

Comment

why cant the head be used?

Comment

Originally posted by lifeiskaos View Post
        why cant the head be used?
        The block and head have completely different cooling passages; they don't match up. The M54 has a "new and improved" cooling system with reverse-flow or something like that. The head is also designed for the M54 intake manifold.

The front timing cover is also different to match the new head.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
          The block and head have completely different cooling passages; they don't match up. The M54 has a "new and improved" cooling system with reverse-flow or something like that. The head is also designed for the M54 intake manifold.

The front timing cover is also different to match the new head.
          thats all i wanted to know, thanks. i just hoped the m52 timing cover would fit :( m54 intake manifold doesnt matter because i'd be using an obd1 manifold with m52 head. didnt know about the coolant channels though. oh well

Comment

you can, however, use the m54 crank/rods/pistons in an m52 block
            1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              The M54 has a "new and improved" cooling system with reverse-flow or something like that.
              lol. It's amazing how many of these motors die from overheating. They really f'd up the cooling system on these motors. I think the t-stat is over 200 degrees too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                lol. It's amazing how many of these motors die from overheating. They really f'd up the cooling system on these motors. I think the t-stat is over 200 degrees too.
                so true
                1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                  The actual cooling system is mostly Ok. The thermostat is an abortion, but that is by design. I've said it before, 90% of what BMW is doing with these motors is to improve emissions and fuel economy. Power if it doesn't interfere with #1 and #2.

They intend them to run hotter.

I replaced my stock "computer controlled" plastic thermostat with an aftermarket unit from Zionsville and it's been great. These motors usually fail because the higher temperatures generate more cooling pressure and the resevoirs pop. Then, the stupid buffered temp gauge doesn't warn the driver until it's TOO LATE!

The M54 block, head and rotating components are great.

Comment

Has anyone tried swappign a single vanos setup onto an M54?

I checked on realoem and the cam trays were the same...
                    Gary Gray

88 M3 M5x turbo track/race car
                    89 M3 alpine/blk
                    91 M tech vert
                    91 GTi 16V
                    01 325it aka: Wagonator...

If you can take it apart you can make it faster....

Comment

Originally posted by GGray View Post
                      Has anyone tried swappign a single vanos setup onto an M54?

I checked on realoem and the cam trays were the same...

Why would you want to switch, M54 already has a single VANOS.

TWO of them!

Seriously, the physical VANOS mechanism works slightly differently, it has 20 degrees of advance instead of 12.5, but the solenoid is the same.

It works moderately well if you connect it straight to an OBD1 ECU. You could also physically limit the VANOS travel by restricting the piston stroke to make it work better with the 413 ECU or electronically limit it with PWM (my current undertaking).

Comment

I might have a lead on a head off an e46 with 60k miles. Some idiot stripped the block and replaced the engine so its pretty much a complete engine with a useless block. PM me an offer and i'll forward it to him.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

You can timesert the block and it should be good to go. FWIW.
                          :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
                          '93 325iS
                          '99 528iT

Comment

Originally posted by SiGmA_X View Post
                            You can timesert the block and it should be good to go. FWIW.

True. I would almost say it's required to Timesert the block. Lots of them are trashed because BMW doesn't endorse the Timeserts.

Comment

Working...
                            X