1990 M3 Build Thread, little rust overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 M3 Build Thread, little rust overhaul

Well a month or 2 back (maybe in july) I purchased a 1990 E30 M3 with just under 135k on the odometer, it was in rough shape and you could tell the whole car needed to go over to get it in a good functioning respectful condition.

So I decided I would start working on the tail panel area and just fix the holes from the rust with the minor welding skills I have and the knowledge from Simpson Motorsport (who have been more than helpful and informative in this process). Well this proved to be a lot more long and annoying than I though because of the amount of spread the rust had on it.

Realizing how long it was going to be to get each and everything done on it and not knowing where more rust might pop up, I bought a few panels.... sorta, well that turned into both inner fender wells for the rear, the tail panel, both front frame carriers and well I haven't bought anything else......yet.

Then I decided it would just be easier to have it sandblasted and that's where I'm at on the build right now. I'm currently in the process of stripping the interior and labling all the wiring I can and trying to get everything prepped for sandblast!!
    Look at that RUST
    Hopefully by next weekend I'll have the engine dropped along with both front and rear sub frames then I can start prepping the body for sandblast. I'm going to try and keep this updated on a weekly basis but I'm not promising anything so don't give me too much greif

Pics no worry
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I really really wanna see these pics

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Here is his pics
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

Man that's a good looking car that rust wont take long to fix been there done that. Looking forward to updates

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            Man that's a good looking car that rust wont take long to fix been there done that. Looking forward to updates
            +1!

Here in Quebec this would be considered to be in good condition!
            E30 now S52
            2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
            325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

Looking good so far. Seats look to be in great shape for 139k miles...wonder if they were swapped for low milage ones.

Are you going to pull the windshield to check the cowl?
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

Yes I will be pulling all of the windows to have the entire chassis blasted, the body panels seem to be in good shape and don't look like they have a lot of issues so I will be just grinding the rust off and maybe doing some small fabrications to get them back to normal. It actually only has 135k on the ODO

Let me know if you guys need me to look for anything on mine to help with your stuff since its fresh in my memory. I also have been taking a lot of pictures for when I have to put things back together.

Comment

Working...
                X