What to look for when buying an E39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahahahahah I love the name.

has it had a lot of owners, or something? what sparked it?
    sigpic
    Originally posted by e30hijinks
    I move faster than "the speed of light." I'm always connected to my Blackberry and am ready to purchase at a moment's notice. I do not play games

Comment

Originally posted by walktheboard View Post
      hahahahahah I love the name.

has it had a lot of owners, or something? what sparked it?
      I'm the third owner, but I tend to call my cars dirty whores, sloots, etc. And the previous owner had 2 kids, I've spent hours already scrubbing the leather and I've been through 2 bottles of leather cleaner :crazy:

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
        You want a 530i.

Off the top of my head, the most common issues are:

Pixel loss in the MIDs and "high" clusters
        Cooling system failure (completely replace every 100k)
        Suspension (replace every 100k)
        Thrust arm bushing failure (causes the E39 shimmy, particularly under braking)
        Torque converter seal failure (~100k; facelift I6 models)
        Broken headlight adjusters
        Oil filter housing gasket failure (I6 models)
        CVV failure (over 100k; I6 models )
        DISA failure (M54 engine)
        External temperature sensor broken/missing
        Broken can holder
        Power seat cable binding/failure

Someone who has experience with the 540s should weigh in too. From what I understand they're more costly to maintain than any of the I6 models.

been awhile since I've been on r3v, but I ended up getting a 2002 530 that had literally all these problems minus one or two.

My torque converter seal went and I found a 5 Speed manual swap kit, so it was easier to swap it over to manual than to replace the torque converter.

Two questions, what do you mean by the broken can holder? and CCV failure?

Comment

CVV = crankcase ventilation (cyclone) valve. It and its and related hoses need to be replaced on about the same schedule as the cooling system. They offer a "cold weather" version of it though you won't need it in CA.

The flip-out can holders are flimsy and will break if you try to use them for anything more then a 12oz can which is no more than half full.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

so would you buy a one owner 2001 325i with 120k, or a 2 owner 2003 530i with 110k for a DD? both are about the same price.
            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

More room in the e39 than the e46.

-e46 owner

Comment

VANOS seals are a must as well with the CCV and Cooling stuff.

Doing all that this weekend. Looking at mainly a whole days of work with $450 in just parts.

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                  so would you buy a one owner 2001 325i with 120k, or a 2 owner 2003 530i with 110k for a DD? both are about the same price.
                  I'd pick the one with the best paperwork from the PO!

Love my e39 touring. Bought it from the second owner who's a manager at a local BMW dealership. He bought it from the original owner instead of letting the guy trade it in. I got tons of paperwork when I bought it.

Currently 137,000 on her and you'd never guess by looking anywhere under, on or in the car.

Out of all 3 of our BMWs it's by far my favorite.

Comment

Time to bump an old thread!

updates on my E39, I 5 speed swapped it! love driving it now.

I've done a lot of work with the car since I first bought it, and there's still a lot to do!

so far I've done these things:

5 speed swap
                    H&R Sport springs
                    CCV system
                    all new power steering lines and reservoir
                    Intake manifold gaskets
                    valve cover gaskets
                    replaced every vacuum line
                    new thermostat (twice, if you have a BMW with an M54 DO NOT BUY AN AUTOZONE THERMOSTAT, SPEND THE EXTRA $20 AND GO GENUINE ALL OF THE AUTOZONE ONES FAIL)
                    new pulleys, tensioners, and belts
                    intake boots
                    MAF
                    brakes front/rear (rotors and pads)
                    head light adjusters (I'd recommend to do this first mainly for night time safety, its easy and takes a little over an hour to do it)
                    found a junkyard electric sunshade for $12 win! (my old one was broken at the sliding hinge)
                    replaced passenger bottom half of dash (just for one trim clip for the dash wood trim)
                    both front window regulators (driver side just went out again yesterday)
                    Fuel filter
                    cup holders
                    new xenon ballasts + bulb
                    oil filter housing gasket (I'd recommend doing this with any M54 that looks like it is leaking oil onto the power steering lines and steering rack)

Thats all I can remember from the top of my head I know there's still more

Now here's the things I have to still do, and if you're looking to buy an E39 its good stuff to look out for

Front suspension (steering wheel shimmy's a bit from 40-60mph and front tires have slight signs of cupping)
                    rear suspension (ball joints)
                    Shocks
                    Pixel repair (ANNOYING)
                    Driver side window regulator
                    brake lines + system flush
                    voltage regulator
                    windshield rubbers
                    back window rubbers
                    heater control valve (very common fail issue and is annoying as hell

These are all the things I can come up with for now, if anyone has any questions regarding swapping a manual into a 525/530 E39 PM me! I hope I can help!

Comment

Originally posted by henryki View Post
                      Time to bump an old thread!

updates on my E39, I 5 speed swapped it! love driving it now.

I've done a lot of work with the car since I first bought it, and there's still a lot to do!

so far I've done these things:

5 speed swap

H&R Sport springs

CCV system

all new power steering lines and reservoir

Intake manifold gaskets

valve cover gaskets

replaced every vacuum line

new thermostat (twice, if you have a BMW with an M54 DO NOT BUY AN AUTOZONE THERMOSTAT, SPEND THE EXTRA $20 AND GO GENUINE ALL OF THE AUTOZONE ONES FAIL)

new pulleys, tensioners, and belts

intake boots

MAF

brakes front/rear (rotors and pads)

head light adjusters (I'd recommend to do this first mainly for night time safety, its easy and takes a little over an hour to do it)

found a junkyard electric sunshade for $12 win! (my old one was broken at the sliding hinge)

replaced passenger bottom half of dash (just for one trim clip for the dash wood trim)

both front window regulators (driver side just went out again yesterday)

Fuel filter

cup holders

new xenon ballasts + bulb

oil filter housing gasket (I'd recommend doing this with any M54 that looks like it is leaking oil onto the power steering lines and steering rack)

Thats all I can remember from the top of my head I know there's still more

Now here's the things I have to still do, and if you're looking to buy an E39 its good stuff to look out for

Front suspension (steering wheel shimmy's a bit from 40-60mph and front tires have slight signs of cupping)

rear suspension (ball joints)

Shocks

Pixel repair (ANNOYING)

Driver side window regulator

brake lines + system flush

voltage regulator

windshield rubbers

back window rubbers

heater control valve (very common fail issue and is annoying as hell

These are all the things I can come up with for now, if anyone has any questions regarding swapping a manual into a 525/530 E39 PM me! I hope I can help!

Well done, thats a pretty damn complete list of all the common issues with buying an e39. All 3 of mine had varying degrees of all these problems.
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
                        Well done, thats a pretty damn complete list of all the common issues with buying an e39. All 3 of mine had varying degrees of all these problems.
                        haha yeah I've been making sure it will be a solid DD for my commute to school everyday. And its proven to be a great vehicle and I'm averaging 25-27 MPG combined highway and city. But its pretty common for me to get 35ish MPG on freeway driving alone (which is great being a college student with a part time job dealing with California gas prices haha)

Any other recommendations or things to look out for?

Comment

Man, I haven't seen a post from either one of you two in a long time. I love to see old members come back.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            Man, I haven't seen a post from either one of you two in a long time. I love to see old members come back.

Swanny!
                            SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                              Yeah sorry about that haha, been busy flying! Finally got my PPL and now I'm finishing up my instrument rating. But I ended up selling my E30, which is one of the main reasons for the lack of posts lately...

Comment

Originally posted by henryki View Post
                                Yeah sorry about that haha, been busy flying! Finally got my PPL and now I'm finishing up my instrument rating. But I ended up selling my E30, which is one of the main reasons for the lack of posts lately...
                                congrats!!!!! give me a holler if you need some advice along the way.

its a ways down the road for you but i know that express jet has an atp bridge program that if you are accepted, you get your atp for free with no obligation to take a job there. something to think about......
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X