Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right hand drive to left(US) conversion

Guys,
    I love the e30's I am seeing from South Africa but the cars are right hand drive.
    Has anyone done a conversion?
    How difficult is it?
    Can a car be legally imported from South Africa?
    Please feel free to post pics.

Its requires replacing the fire wall.
    Current
    99 328i (Sold)
    91 318is M50B25TU
    89 325ix (Parted out)
    87 325is (Parted out)
    95 525i (Parted Motor for 91 318is)

Comment

There is a write-up somewhere on here for an LHD to RHD conversion and it was somewhat difficult. I'm assuming that a RHD to LHD conversion would be significantly easier seeing as how the parts are much more plentiful.

I would probably try and find someone who wants to convert their car to RHD and orchestrate a swap from your car to his/hers.

Edit: LOL, the above post kind of negates my post.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Just buy one that's LHD.

As with anything, if you buy what you want in the end from day one you'll probably save a lot of time and money. Further, if you're asking as basic a question as to import legality you are probably not very serious about importing a car.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Just buy one that's LHD.

As with anything, if you buy what you want in the end from day one you'll probably save a lot of time and money. Further, if you're asking as basic a question as to import legality you are probably not very serious about importing a car.
          What kind of logic is that?
          If i am asking a question about importing a car it means am serious about doing so.

Comment

if it's not a 333i, don't bother
            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

As long as it is at least 25 years old it will not be any trouble to import it. Getting it titled and licensed in your state might be a different story depending on your Emission Testing Laws. I find it hard to believe you could buy the car in SA ship it to the US pay the import duties and THEN convert it to LHD for less than 4X the cost of finding a comparable car to your finished product. If you just want the experience of doing the conversion then that has some value and it is worth what ever you are willing to pay to do it but don't plan on getting more than $.10 on the dollar you spend when you try and sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by ajp340 View Post
                What kind of logic is that?
                If i am asking a question about importing a car it means am serious about doing so.
                If you are asking that question about importing a car it means you have done essentially no research on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                  if it's not a 333i, don't bother
                  QFT, not forgetting the 325iS Evo 1/2

The 333i, only 204 were built.
                  1990 325i
                  2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                  sigpic

Comment

I did not think you needed the firewall. I could be wrong, but there was a seller on here who sells the oposite conversion and no need for a firewall. Id loe to trade.

Comment

I did the opposite, LHD to RHD, but from what I saw/know, it should just simply be the exact opposite.

the link to my writeup is in my sig, really hope its of some help to you! if you have any other questions that my writeup doesn't answer feel free to pm me man!

edit: and if you end up getting a lot of negativity about the price and time its gonna take (you will), ignore it.
                      you can do it for less than a thousand dollars and a few weekends, trust me.
                      Last edited by J.Rizo; 03-12-2016, 02:35 PM.
                      sigpic
                      @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                      Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Working...
                      X