Parking Brake Popped, Car Won't Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking Brake Popped, Car Won't Move

The title says it all. When attempting to pull my '92 318i vert out of the garage today, the parking brake made a loud popping noise when I released it. Then, when I put the car in reverse, it wouldn't budge...same result when I attempted to move forward. So now, the car is stuck in place, and I'm getting ready to troubleshoot a system I have zero experience with. Any advice or recommendations would help immensely, as I need to take the car on a road trip this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Pretty basic system of cables pulling on the brake shoe inside the rotor / drum. Does the parking brake handle come up and down normally? With tension? Or does it feel loose?

Pull the boot off the parking brake handle. My guess is something in the ratchet mechanism is what you heard and there is still tension on the cables.

If the cables loose, then the problem is back further under the car. And you would need to trace the cables to see what's holding them in tension.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

I had a similar issue earlier this week. Part of the pad had separated from the metal and was lodging itself, causing my car to jerk and try to stop.

Hope the rotor pops off easy for ya.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Thanks, all. Parking brake handle moves up and down normally and the mechanism under the boot is intact. The popping noise came from the rear underside of the car and affects both rear wheels, so I'm pretty certain it has something to do with the linkage just before it splits off to each wheel. More to follow as the investigation continues...

Comment

Working...
        X