No announcement yet.

M54 Madness, the remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just suggesting that the repair could be done by going to M7 without having to take apart the Vanos.

Comment

I guess I'm not understanding the advantage of using M7 in place of M6.

Comment

He is saying you can tap the thread from m6x1 to m7x1 with the vanos still attached.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          He is saying you can tap the thread from m6x1 to m7x1 with the vanos still attached.
          Couldn't I do that with M6 as well?

Edit: Oh, he's saying tap for M7 directly without using a helicoil.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            Edit: Oh, he's saying tap for M7 directly without using a helicoil.

:up:

Comment

Done.

I pulled the radiator and hood for access, plus removed the VANOS unit.

The exhaust stud wouldn't have worked because the stud is an M6x60 and the exhaust stud is M7x39. I think it's the longest studs that pulled because they're clamping the thickest section of Aluminum, hence the greatest extra force from thermal expansion.

Seems fine now, anyway.

Edit: I helicoiled to use the original stud
              Last edited by hoveringuy; 12-04-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Mine was single Vanos stuff, and the studs I used were significantly longer than the ones that were stripped. I might have been using intake studs. Either way it's fixed and that's all that matters. What did you end up doing? Helicoil?

Comment

Working...
                X