Another turbo M20 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drutt23 View Post
    Where did you get the axles for that cheap?!?!?!!!! Nice work man. Keep it going
    I work at a dealership and if we ever need outside parts for any used car sales, I call The Parts House (local company around here) and they hook me up really nicely because we give them so much business.
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

^ not the answer we wanted to hear.

Comment

hahaha ^^^^ agreed.......FTL
        1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
        sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
        The Build...

Comment

Love this thread and what your doing man, no 5000000000000 page BS to get the info that you need/are interested in.

Keep up the good work, hope to see this done soon so I can muster up enough courage to attempt the same!
          Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
          Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
          Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
          Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Well, I am pretty much broke right now, so the only update that I can give is that I am going to try and experiment with some M50 non-VANOS pistons. According to one of my buddies who has an insanely built E30, he says if the bore is the same, they should be able to handle a nice amount of boost (which makes me quite the happy camper lol).

In the meantime, I won't be able to continue this build until December or January. I have a little girl on the way and when she gets here, my priorities will be ended up shifting towards her. Not to mention I have to move pretty soon.

But on another sidenote, I just recently started a job working at Porsche, so I might be able to get even more goodies for this!

Comment

Well, it's been a solid 4 months since I last updated this, but the good news is that I'm still on track with everything. I came very close to scrapping the whole project and starting fresh, but in a whim, I said fuck that and finish it.

With that said, I have taken my motor to a friend of mine to finish for me. He currently has an M52 boosted E30 and knows his shit. This will give me time to work on replacing suspension, driveline, and body components. I recently removed my sunroof in favor of putting in one that isn't rusted to hell. Not to mention I plan on getting some Bilsteins and H&R's for the coupe. The next post will be more oriented towards these components rather than the engine.

Comment

Good luck with the project! I am currently working on my 2.8 M20 turbo project
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead!

In the year and 5 or so months that this has had no activity, I have managed to go through a small transition from a large house that kept me broke to a small place that would allow me to continue this build. not to mention bringing my X5 back to life from a neglectful owner:

(that restore ended up halting my E30 build. It is finished and is my daily driver now)

I have since sold my coupe and decided to make my sedan my turbo car. this past weekend, I finally got around to ripping my old M20B25 out:

I have an engine bay to clean and a few things to freshen up while I'm in there.

My goal is to keep A/C and PS....basically, make it a daily driver if need be. Because of the lack of space for the air to air intercooler without sacrificing an auxiliary fan, I will be using a water to air setup. This will inevitably give me more potential for power increases down the road.

I also plan on deleting the fan clutch and running a 16" electric fan behind the radiator to keep this mofo cool. Stay tuned!

Comment

While my engine was out and I was waiting for a few parts, I sent off my tach/MPG combo gauge to justrack. What he has for your stock MPG gauge replacement is pretty awesome: it turns into a functional boost gauge. Not to mention the variety of choices he has as well as individual calibration of each one before he sends them out. (check it out here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=291812).

I have a tendency to do things while an area is open. Basically, "while you're in there". As I was waiting for my boost gauge mounted on my tach, I ordered some accelerator and cruise control cables and a few HVAC panel bulbs. I replaced those to give me some sort of satisfactory feeling while I was awaiting other items.

The tach when I got it back:

Mounted into the instrument cluster:

Mounted into the car with boost recall switch:

Not the best picture in the world, but it gives you an idea of how OEM-ish it is going to look. I hate having gauges everywhere in a car, so my goal is to make it a bit of a sleeper. I also plan on running a water to air setup so I can keep my air con and I don't have to hack up my front bumper.

While the trans was pulled apart from my old M20, I went ahead and did the Z3 1.9 shifter conversion and it's the perfect amount of throw reduction. I wish I would have done it sooner!

Once I was done with that, I got the rest of my parts in. Most of it I got at the dealer with my former employee discount. I also picked up a 4-puck unsprung clutch for $0 American dollars thanks to a friend who also has a turbo M52 powered E30. Apparently it didn't hold up to his beast, so he tossed it to me. Should be interesting to see, but it is nice and stiff. lol

Engine and trans ready to go back in!:

It has been a solid 2 years since I told myself I would get this finished, but over the last 3 months, I have made some serious progress and I really can't wait to get it on the road. More updates soon!

Comment

Awesome start to what looks to be a well planned out build. Looking forward to seeing thing finished up!
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
                        Awesome start to what looks to be a well planned out build. Looking forward to seeing thing finished up!
                        Thanks! It is getting there and I have been making some great progress on it. Right now, I have the following left to do:
                        • Wire up Megasquirt
                        • Get a water to air setup (STILL haven't purchased one)
                        • Get the piping for the intercooler setup cut and ready to go.
                        • Get an LC-1

Those are really the major things to do and it's pretty much done.

Comment

Today, I actually got a handful of things done. While I await funds to get the rest of the things that I need (electric fans, LC-1, and water to air setup), I figured now would be a good time to start wiring up my Megasquirt. Although I didn't fully finish it, I can tell you that having the premade harness is definitely worth the extra 40 dollars. Using various sources online, it wasn't as complicated as one would think. I foresee the rest of the wiring to go smoothly because I purchased the harness. (I will update the rest of it with my next post).

Using the manifold that a friend recently re-welded for me, I was able to bend the AC line just an inch or two. It was sitting very close to where the turbo meets the manifold, so I took some leftover exhaust wrap and wrapped the suction line.

Here's a shot of the engine bay as it sits:

Another thing I would like to note is that if you have the ability to run a wasted spark, do it. Anything beats having to replace a distributor cap and rotor. I will be running a block off plate for the cam belt pulley.

Comment

Lots of progress! Can't wait to see it finished, I'm contemplating a similar build m'self

Good luck!

Comment

Been over a solid 2 and a half months since I've been able to update.

I ended up changing my game plan and decided to go air to air due to financial constraints. After doing much research, I managed to get an almost perfect intercooler in there without destroying my front apron.

As you can see, the intercooler will get airflow behind the grills. Looks stock and it's exactly what I was going for.

Aside from a few oil cooler lines and a turbo drain line, all I have left to buy is an LC-1 and I'm ready to start her up. I have been having a friend come over and help with wiring. This has been a very long process, but I can see myself being completely happy with it once it is all done.

Comment

Would you mind sharing your intercooler specs? That is exactly the setup I want
                                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Working...
                                X