BAUR resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAUR resurrection

Hello everybody, I'm Odin from Spain. I have been lurking around on this site for some time now, and have always found it a great inspiration. There sure is some very talented people on here, and I have learned a lot by watching over the last few years now. So I gues I owe the comunity a big THANK YOU !

Anyway, I'm the proud owner of a 1984 BMW 320 BAUR converteble. Bought it about 6 years ago, and it has served faultlesly as my DD. 2 years ago I disided it was time for a major overhaul. The plan is to keep it more or less stock, with some suptle upgrades. I want to lower the suspension, and get some nice wheels. I would also like to keep the bodywork smooth, and debadged etc. But nothing wilde, it has to be funtional, this will not be a show car. I allready had replaced the engine with another m20 from a 525 e-34. That was a major improvement over the old b20 lump. There were some small electric isues etc, but it went more or less painless.

The suspension was in badly need to be rebuilt, and the car screamed out for some lowering springs. So that was where I startet the project. Here is the car the day I parked it in the garage And the teardown comence and here we have the pasient on the operating table. Looks horrorble ehh Shocking state of the traling arm buschings:sad: Rear caliper cleaned ready for Primer and finaly A few coats of blue paint.:cool

Nice blue paint

Comment

I have many more photos but for some reason I can only uploade 1 at the time??? I'll try again later .;)

Comment

Try using photobucket to host the pictures :)
        1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan
        Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | BBS RC090 17x8 | EAT Chip | Port + Polish | IE 284 Cam | Built valvetrain

Comment

Thanks Ilovempower. I have created un acount with photobucket now.:p

Comment

Ok ,so now I have an acount with photobucket, hopfully this will speed up things a little. I have many photos I wuld like to share. So now that I have it more or less organised, here is a few shots from a few years ago when I did the engine swap.

Here is the freshly rebuild m20b25 from a 525 e-36 auto. Spec on the engine;

New valve guides, 3 angle valve seats, portmached and cleaned up the ports, new waterpump, timingbelt, aux belts, headgasket, plugs,etc. The old engine shamfully hiding in the background:D

Slowely getting there

Comment

A few issues came up, the electrics was nor just plug and play, things like the expansion bottle, air box, radiator, etc.

Converitng from auto to manual, new pilot bearing and cluths.

Comment

I drove the car like that a few years, the new motor was really an improvement, it offered a lot more power. Ofcourse the new power transfered to problems with the suspension, it just could'ent keep up anymore. That and the fact that the body needed atencion, lead to taking it of the road and do something serious about it. You have already seen some shots of the rear sub-frame, here is a few more;

Pulling the old trailing arm bushings.
                Few more bits back from the blaster
                Powder coated
                Getting ready to assembly, new bearings, bushings...

Pulling in new bushings
                [IMG]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y415/OdinBAUR/005_zps4e28e0de.jpg[/IMG

Comment

A hydraulic press makes this easy:D I also rebuild the half-shafts and cleaned the diff.

New Kayaba gas shocks and oem top mounts.

H&R springs.

Comment

recondisioned the tank, new fuel lines cleanup and a coat of paint.

Heat shield, cleaning of 28 years of crap, coat of paint and back on the car. Note the new exhaust hanger.

Comment

Moving on to do some work on the body.

Rear left wheel arch. Small bubles turned out to be a lot more:(

...seen from the inside off the trunk

Cutout seen from the inside.

Inner panels reconstructed.

New metal.

Welded and primed.

Comment

More nastyness!!

The same hole seen from the trunk.

Ready to weld.

Comment

More rustwork....

Cut.

Copy.

Paste. :D

I had to fix a few rust spots in the engine-compartement, so this had to come out again.

This is how the car sits at the moment. A lot of work ahead:up:

Comment

Awesome job man, spot on!
                            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                              Awesome job man, spot on!
                              Thanks,a lot more to come:up:

Comment

Working...