91' Alpineweiss Vert Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91' Alpineweiss Vert Project

A work in progress. My dream car in highschool was a BMW e30. While I never got one it was a trip to San Francisco and a test drive in a friend of a friends e30 coupe that rekindled my passion for "Gods Chariot". I began looking and purchased a 91' convertible late one night at work on an oil tanker. The whole crew and all the surveyors were crowded around me counting aloud the eBay listing auction deadline. I picked her up from Shreveport and my life has never been the same...

Goal: to vacuum and dye this carpet from blue to black and put down a sound/heat barrier and audio insulation under the carpet.

Dirty carpet pulled. Took over 4 hrs.

Ready to be shopvac'd

Interior needs to be clean for the barrier to stick.

Barrier. Frostking, which can be purchased at any Lowes or Home Depot. It is originally designed for insulating HVAC systems but is a great Dynamat alternative. Its cheaper $20 a roll. Its lighter, and it is easier to apply.

Majority of stains removed. I didn't focus too much on where the seat is because you won't be able to see that.

Successfully dyed with Rits and a spray bottle. Let dry for 6 hrs.

Interior cleaned and degreased. Ready for barrier.

Passenger side done with about 1.5 rolls.

Driver side done. Used about 3 rolls total. Could have bought more since I plan to do the trunk as well but I covered everything so no problems.

One of the reason I did this is because the unbearable New Orleans heat. Most of the heat in my car came from the engine/transmission bay so insulating these areas well makes the car like an ice chest with the A/C running at the minimum setting.

Carpet back in.

I'm happy with how it came out.

Goal: swap my metal "diving board" fit plastic euro bumpers.

Lower valence fitting. Little too messed up for my liking. But grinded the tow hooks to fit the bumper and installed the shorter shocks.

Front bumper successfully test fitted.

My boy Brian hooking up the tunes

Bought new crack free dash for $40. The guy said either he really didn't know the price of BMW parts or I was the best negotiator in the world.

I'd say a little of both.

Picked up a euro valence and smileys from the same guy $300 package deal. Beautiful condition.

New naking noble sport 2's 205/50/16 (don't hate)

New rims, staggered 16 x 9 in the back and 16 x 8s in the front. RF Style 5 reps.

New suspension installed. Koni adjustables shocks and Ireland engineering stage 3 springs. Tires test fitted with my buddies rims/tires.

Before tires/rims.

BBS RS reps on today. 16x9 in back 16x8 up front. Next up- bumpers/valence , headlights, prep and paint.

Center console with an armrest out of an e36. Just have to paint and recover the old armrest.

Cleaned and ready for trim paint

Armrest recovered almost ready to install

Armrest and cupholder from 97 3 series before and after

Painted my turn signals red.

My "new" trunklid. No brake light , debadge, rust repair, body filler, prime for paint

Old boring bs projector headlights

New headlight plugs to fit the smileys

Before and after. Will really pop once my hid's come in

Loving these HIDs. 35W Apexcone 5000k from DDM Tuning.

Hubrings in and installed. Smooth riding now.

You can barely see them.

I ordered a new fender and what followed was one of the worst transactions I've been a part of. Bottom line I got my refund and the fender, and the seller got banned .

2 days in the junkyard, 5 trips, 1 cordless reciprocating saw, battery & charger (all sold separately ???) , 6 rain storms, 4 mountain dews, 9 blades, and $10 for the actual part, I now have the last ingredient needed for my car before I paint it. This bottom piece removal is not for the faint of heart.

Front end day. My neighbors love me for classing up the street. All that's missing are some cinder blocks.

And God said let there be 3000kHIDfoglight

and it was good

The memories and frustration of the guy that sent me this fender still fresh in my head (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=332337 ) I went to work straightening and rolling the fender. I have never done any body work but with enough research and common sense anything is possible. Plus I figured while I was in there I might as well fix every imperfection I found.

15 minutes of hammering and the rear valence is already starting to look better.

Vent were about green, sanded them down and hit it with some Technicians Choice Vinyl, Plastic, and Carpet paint

More to come, I work a week at a time so these will probably be spaced a week apart. Thanks for viewing. Also have to make a thread for my 87is build I'm working on at the same time, both are visible below.

Last edited by departeg; 10-15-2014, 10:29 PM.
    sigpicGrind it till you find it.

very nice with the bumper work, lights and everything else. very impressive, keep up the gud wurk
    Originally posted by dvck
    I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Ah man, that guy ripped me off too on some centercaps. How's the difference with the insulation you added to the floor? Did you have any problems fitting the carpet over it?
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

Don't get me started on the centercaps...The insulation was worth it honestly. I set my A/C on the lowest setting for a couple minutes and it stays cool usually for the rest of the ride. The downside I think is it may trap the heat as well so I'm going to get some ceramic tint to keep it cool and keep my new dash from cracking. The carpet took some working to get back in place but it really isn't that thick. The biggest difference is the sound proofing. I have straight pipes and a vert so I wanted atleast one sound deadening element for the cabin and i'd say its close to 30-40% difference.

Comment

Good work man thanks for sharing!
            sigpic

My 92' Alpine White Cabrio

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302491

Comment

Lots of fun projects there... well done.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                Lots of fun projects there... well done.
                Originally posted by bradthreee View Post
                Good work man thanks for sharing!
                thanks guys, wanted to knock out some aesthetic stuff first. I did swap the suspension to Koni adjustables and Ireland engineering Stage 3's and replace the control arms and pretty much any bushing and rubber under the car. I also swapped the interior to black from the ugly 80's "bus seat" Blue. I also have a LSD I need to swap and then paint, and then I'll start collecting parts for the 24v swap. woot!

Comment

Awesome! We have very similar cars so i look forward to keeping up with this!

Is the e36 armrest a direct fit?

Comment

Originally posted by chad h View Post

this, very interesting.
                    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                    (Daily Driver)
                    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                    KW V2 Coilovers
                    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by chad h View Post

Not a direct fit. There are write ups. Instant, er nearly, cup holder and armrest.

Good looking suspension. Feel good? Rough ride?

Comment

looking good! i like where this is going!

Comment

Great start looks Clean!
                          Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                          1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Plastic bumpers I've read are a direct bolt on for all verts. Why did you cut the valence?

Comment

he had an early model convertible. He is grafting a later model one on. Weird though, my '91 vert is a late model body.
                              2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                              (Daily Driver)
                              Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                              KW V2 Coilovers
                              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                              X