Ground Control Part #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Control Part #s

What is the Part numbers on your Ground Control Coilovers. I think I have the wrong ones :x Referring to the spring, Next to "Eibach it says 01/00
    Then on the lower coil of the same spring it says "0500.225.0450"

Please help, I'm in a bind here
    Thanks, George

SOLD: My feature http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/04/a...ss-bmw-e30-m3/

Looks to be a 5" long 2.25ID 450lb spring.

What's wrong?

Comment

Hey Bill,
      Everything is cool now, we looked on your site, and rear springs seemed different from ours, and we were doubting it was for another car, but I called Chris and he had same GC setup on his previous iS.

We put everything back together and looks to be good but when you put car on jacks, springs looks like it will fall out if you touch it in rear. Front ones arent done yet because we didnt have perches from GC so we going to have to wait, other than that everything went good.

Thanks for your site Bill! It helped alot, later,
      Amirani
      95' M3.
      90' 325i Turboed.
      87' 325eS Fixed.

Comment

Glad I could help. :)

GC switched from the 2.25"ID springs in the rear to the barrel springs (my type) to prevent the springs from binding up. OOMPH, make sure you keep an eye on the springs and check for rust inbetween the coils. If they have rust there, they're binding and that is an awful, awful thing. Chris's had spring bind in the rear with 550lb springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i
          Glad I could help. :)

GC switched from the 2.25"ID springs in the rear to the barrel springs (my type) to prevent the springs from binding up. OOMPH, make sure you keep an eye on the springs and check for rust inbetween the coils. If they have rust there, they're binding and that is an awful, awful thing. Chris's had spring bind in the rear with 550lb springs.
          Thanks a lot Bill, your site is awesome. Bill what could I do to prevent the spring binding?
          thanks, George

Comment

Ah, I knew it was George.

You can't really prevent it. Chris ended up switching from a 550lb spring to a 600lb spring. You can call up GC and order new springs (make sure you specify you need the rear e30 spring - the barrel type). I know regular 2.25 and 2.5ID springs run like $50-75 per spring...and hopefully the barrel springs will be in the same range.

Comment

thanks Bill....I'll look into that. I have to call GC tomorrow anyway to order the perches, mine didn't have them for some reason. My friend must have lost them :roll:

Comment

BTW, Bill.....are the adapters required because I don't have those either. I have a 90 325is so I'm guessing I need the 51mm.........

Comment

Originally posted by OOMPH!
                  BTW, Bill.....are the adapters required because I don't have those either. I have a 90 325is so I'm guessing I need the 51mm.........
                  Nope, you're good without the adapters - you should have 51mm struts.

Comment

Great.....thanks again Bill :up:

Comment

I got barrel rear springs with my 375/475 kit, but my 500/650 kit came with standard springs in both front and rear(2.5 and 2.25ID, respectively). I hope that it's stiff enough that I won't have coil bind issues, I haven't so far with e36 M3 bilstein sports *crosses fingers*

Comment

A 450 lb. 5" spring in the rear is way too soft/small. This is what they originally gave me, but within a 2-3 years they had binded so badly that it broke the nubs off both my trailing arms. Whether it's a barrel shaped or straight, it's too soft...a spring rate is a spring rate no matter the shape.

I eventually switched to a 600 lb. which still didn't work very well, it didn't bind as much, but it was just too small and stiff for street use. I am now running a 2.5" ID, 6" length, 500 lb. spring on some H&R adjusters and I am much happier. This setup sits a little higher than the G-C kit, but works much better with the shocks and I don't bind at all.
                        -Brandon
                        '86 325es S50
                        '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                        '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                        '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                        S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I really haven't been all that happy with the rear ground controls on my car. I have the 450 lb 5" springs, which the guy I ordered from basically said was the absolute stiffest I should get, and they have already binded. And maybe its just me, but I find it a huge pain in the ass to have to reach in underneath my car as I'm lowering it down with the jack so that the springs line up right. I'm definitely going to get true coil-overs in the back eventually.
                          '91 318is
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X