Rear subframe removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear subframe removal

So as I was beginning my project of removing the rear subframe on my 318is I was stopped very quickly with the problem of no points to put jack stands. As I'm removing the subframe I can't put them in my usual location, and my other jack stand locations on the rear end of the body are rusted out and cannot support any weight. I didn't see any other areas where I could use, so I'm stumped. Any help will be greatly appreciated
    sigpic
    91' 318is Brilliantrot
    Yes, it still has an m42

How bad are the rockers? One idea I've seen done with other cars is to cut a channel in a piece of lumber for the pinch weld, put that underneath to spread the weight, then jack it up.
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can also put the jack a bit more towards the back of the chassis rail where the upper spring perch is.
      If you want to be 100% save, support the car also on your factory jacking point so spread the load even more.
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post

How bad are the rockers? One idea I've seen done with other cars is to cut a channel in a piece of lumber for the pinch weld, put that underneath to spread the weight, then jack it up.
        Unlucky for me the rockers are only rusted right where the jacking point would be, I'll try the wood idea actually, it might be enough to disperse the weight so I don't damage it too much

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
        I'm pretty sure you can also put the jack a bit more towards the back of the chassis rail where the upper spring perch is.
        If you want to be 100% save, support the car also on your factory jacking point so spread the load even more.
        That could work, I'll check that out today and see if it's possible!
        sigpic
        91' 318is Brilliantrot
        Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Revival! Did you ever end up doing this? I'm facing a similar situation over here and contemplating the best way to not die.

Comment

Originally posted by muppetman342 View Post
            Revival! Did you ever end up doing this? I'm facing a similar situation over here and contemplating the best way to not die.
            Yep I ended up doing it over the past summer. Not sure on the condition of your pinch welds along the rockers or jack points but what I ended up doing was jacking up the rear end from the diff, and then was able to put jack stands on the good section of my pinch welds more towards the rear of the car. Still kinda sketchy and I wouldve rather been able to use my jacking points, but that was really my only option. They managed to hold the weight without having to use the mentioned wood method to disperse the weight. You might have to play around with some techniques to best suit your situation, just make sure your pinch welds dont fold when resting the weight of car on them.
            sigpic
            91' 318is Brilliantrot
            Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Get pinch weld adapters for your jack stands, makes work much easier.

Comment

Also put the rear wheels underneath the car/rockers in front of the jack stands. In the extremely unlikely event that the jackstand/rocker connection fails, big strong wheels are a much better thing for the weight of the car to settle onto than YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Get pinch weld adapters for your jack stands, makes work much easier.
                  Originally posted by Austrianvespaguy View Post
                  Also put the rear wheels underneath the car/rockers in front of the jack stands. In the extremely unlikely event that the jackstand/rocker connection fails, big strong wheels are a much better thing for the weight of the car to settle onto than YOU!
                  Will be doing both of these things! Just going to take lowering it down nice and slow. I could just be paranoid, but that little plate for the jack is no longer on the driver's side rocker, so that's spooking me a little.

Anything wrong with putting the stand farther back from that protrusion and under where the plate for the subframe bracket mounts? I figure as long as I can still wiggle that bracket out, I'm ok.

Comment

The pinch welds are quite strong, the bolts for the brackets will likely shear off, be prepared to drill out one or two. Putting the stand there will likely make it impossible to get the subframe out without fouling on the stands.

Comment

I'm sure these pinch welds were strong before the rust. Got the subframe down today, ended up putting the jack stands on the frame rails behind the subframe. Had to get some taller jack stands but hey.

May weld in some new sheet metal at the old jack point if I get so motivated so that I can actually change a tire with the spare jack if I need to.

Comment

Working...
                      X