Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318iS Suspension Advice

Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm looking at upgrading the suspension on my 318iS and was just posting here to ask a few questions and get some advice. My main goals in upgrading are:

1) To reduce bodyroll to a minimum
    2) Increase the handling capabilites
    3) Stiffen the ride

I'm not so worried about the adjustability and the amount of drop so long as it's not overly low as to prevent me from driving the car on public roads - keep in mind the roads that I drive on range from about 5-9/10. As for my budget, I don't want to go spending thousands on a coilover kit but I don't mind spending the sort of money that quality (non-adjustable) springs and shocks demand nowadays.

WIth all of the above in mind, what are your recommendations? At this stage, I was thinking of something along the lines of Bistein sport shocks with H&R sport or race springs. Finally, my last question: Is it worth buying swaybars, a strutbrace, new bushings, mounts, etc. as well as springs/ shocks? I know it has a lot to do with budget but in your honest opinion, is the gain in handling capabilites enough to justify spending the extra on upgrading these sorts of parts as well as springs and shocks?

Thanks for reading everyone and I look foward to your response,

--Pete

since you're not concerned with that mad bling slammage, I'd go with the bilstein/HR sports combo, with a full compliment of fresh bushings (if you car needs it, and most e30s do simply based on age/mileage). maybe even the race springs if you really want it stiff, although they dont make that spring for the 318is, the m3 race springs will fit

Rear shock mounts are pretty much required, e46 m3 for the budget route, or one of the billet options for a long term solution.

I'd wait on swaybars until you get a real feel for the handling characteristics of the car. throwing parts at the car is rarely a good way to get it how you want.
    BEERTECH

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Rob,

How much stiffer do you think the H&R race springs really are when compared to the sport variants?

Along with rear shock mounts, do people normally replace the front ones as well?

Thanks,

--Pete

Comment

the race springs should be substantially stiffer, although I *believe* they are progressive, not linear. The e30 only has rear shock mounts, the front suspension utilizes struts, your strut hats may be worn, but the rear shock mount failure is much more common
        BEERTECH

Comment

Cool, thanks Rob. Going by the service records, the car just had a large service in the last 5-10k km's so I'll check the list of the items replaced but apart from the springs, shocks, rear shock mounts (depending on whether they were replaced recently), front strut hats (depending on whether they are worn or not) and bushings (any specifics to note?), I should be set for a much stiffer/ better handling iS? Thanks,

--Pete

Comment

some of the bushings are a pretty big job, but the most commonly replaced ones are the rear subframe, front control arm (m3 parts are a good upgrade) and the sway bar bushings.

basically you want all the worn out rubber to be replaced with fresh stuff. If not, you might not take full advantage of new springs/shocks
            BEERTECH

Comment

Thanks for the advice Rob, I most appreciate it.

If anybody else would like to offer their advice/ opinion or shed light on the issue, I would most appreciate it, but thanks heaps for your great help Rob,

--Pete

Comment

I'm the only one up stateside :P
                BEERTECH

Comment

I'm using Eibach springs mated to BOGE turbo gas shocks...
                  Good comfort and handling.

Go for thicker aftermarket anti sway bar kit. Whiteline has decent anti roll bars and it should be about AUD 400 or less. But oni the rear is adjustable, front is fixed.

Had a drive in a 318i with 6 potter bilstein springs+shocks and IE antiroll bar kits and the ride is not harsh, surprisingly... and the IE anti roll bars reduce body roll significantly.

Stiffer springs and shocks are oni part of equation to get less body roll, anti roll bars are more effective in controllin body roll with sacrficing too much on ride comfort...
                  BMWClub Malaysia
                  www.bmwclubmalaysia.com

Comment

H&R Race are much stiffer than Sports.

If you go with the H&R sports, I would suggest a set of either Koni Dual Adjustable shocks, or if you want to stay away from major$$... some Bilstein Sports.

Do not use BOGE's.

If you install H&R Sports, I would also suggest you consider a set of Suspension Techniques sway bars. These are the best bars for the e30, as most other sway bar setups are overkill and to big for the e30 suspension dynamics.

Replacing bushings is also top priority when doing this. You'll be able to check out the strut mounts when you swap the suspension, so ordering new ones just in case might be worthwhile. (Provided you can return them if you dont use them)

Polyurethane bushings are a nice upgrade, but serious overkill for any car that doesnt see 9+ track days a year.

Rear Shock mounts, Subframe Bushings, Control arms & control arm bushings, front and rear sway bar links are all things to have checked for wear and potentially replace.

If you order a set of sway bars, consider changing to the M3 style mounts on the strut in the front. Regardless if you do this change, order the reinforcement kit for the sway bar mounting points.

Hope that helps,
                    CL
                    Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by fabianyee
                      Stiffer springs and shocks are oni part of equation to get less body roll, anti roll bars are more effective in controllin body roll with sacrficing too much on ride comfort...
                      Not always. Much of the body roll can be combated with spring rates. like with an adjustable Coil-over setup.
                      Below the radar...

Comment

Yeah, I was planning on buying swaybars (f&r) but just wasn't sure after Rob's advice. Either way, I'll look into them.

As for the H&R sport vs race spring issue, would H&R race springs give me enough extra strength in hard cornering to warrant buying them over H&R sport springs? Considering that a lot of my driving will be on fairly good roads - possibly track every so often once I get everything sorted out the way that I am happy with it? Thanks,

--Pete

Comment

pete, go local its much easier and cheaper.

my current setup:
                          Koni Yellows
                          Lovells springs
                          Whiteline swaybars F22/R16mm
                          E46 M3 RSMs
                          Z3 reinforcement plates
                          E30 M3 CABs

pretty nice feel to it. the swaybars made a big difference, car feels much flatter through corners. and just way more solid on the road.
                          sigpicM42 Brigade ... Throwing craze in the 318

Comment

I've got IE Stage 3s sitting in the house. I just need to get some Koni's, waiting for the GB.
                            The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

I was simply suggesting to wait on sways for a few reasons. It'll be cheaper to do suspension in stages, if $$$ is a concern. Also, if you run with stock sways for a while, you'll get a better feel for the improvement aftermarket units give.

Just a thought though
                              BEERTECH

Comment

Working...
                              X