No announcement yet.

S54 SMGII into an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it was made after 1991, James is against it.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I don't understand all the hating going on here. I'm a bit impressed at how much of the project pretty much bolts on (I guess BMW gets it right the first time, for the most part). It will definitely be interesting to see completed!
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

looks like a harbor freight torque wrench. what a cheapskate.

S54 w/ smg II swap and he uses harbor freight??

not to mention he wears socks with thong sandals.

Comment

Man you can practically see the jealousy dripping out of your posts.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
            Im not going to read it all but there are a few things that, judging by what I hear here, seem to be odd. Changing the body wiring seems overly complicated. There are a lot of emulators on the market for pulling off the newer OBD stuff while still keeping the control system. We replaced almost all of a friends OBD2 stuff with emulation to setup a turbo on it.

Then again it seems this guy has nearly an unlimited budget and time, its probably less about getting to the end as easily as possible than it is about doing something fairly original.
            That is exactly how I feel about it, he's overcomplicating the entire installation, and not really doing anything special.

Its a cool concept, I fully realize that, however all he's basically doing is ripping a e46 m3 apart and putting it into an e30 chassis, electronics, steering column, and everything. There is nothing really custom about it, thats my issue.

Not flaming the guy, I just would not go about it that way.

If I did something that insane (which I would not, I can get similar power elseware) It would be a direct driveline swap, and then integrating with e30 electronics, which will be a hell of a lot more reliable and simple then swapping in an entire e46 harness and splicing it to run windows, doors, lights, etc.
            Last edited by James Crivellone; 05-11-2006, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert325is
              He has a complete wiring harness from a car that is almost 15 years newer.
              So use certain parts of it and integrate it into the car, instead of transfering the entire thing.

It matches the engine, and if he wants to switch out all the wires, good for him.
              So remove the engine harness section of the car, remove the SMG portion, determine how the DSC and ABS systems works, determine what requirements they need from the car (IE Power, Switching, Readings from sensors etc, and integrate it into the factory harness)

I dont see how running an all new wiring harness is halfass at all.
              I don't like excess wiring, anything that is sitting there unused/unremoved is halfassed in my opinion. Will the E30 have airbags, nav, hid auto-aim lights? central locking controls? etc. Instead of making new electronics work with old servo's and sensors, install the harness that you NEED to make the drivetrain function, and keep the factory e30 wiring, its not unreliable at all if maintained, and frankly its far more simple then sticking with the entire e46 m3 harness.

Maybe ghetto-rigging and splicing into older, less reliable wiring would be better?
              If you are going to be doing ANYTHING ghetto on a project like this, you do not deserve the car, let alone the tools to work on it.

If I had the budget and the time for that project, I would probably almost everything the same way.
              Thats fine, if thats how you want to do it, then awesome. I dont' work that way.

Keep in mind i'm not flaming the guy. I think its a very interesting project, and hope it turns out. I just cannot really drool over it as its not very special in my eyes.

Do I think its a cool project? Yes
              Do I personally think its somewhat halfassed and could perhaps be done better? Yes
              Do I have the final say on all E30 Projects? Hell No, its an opinion =)

I really enjoy electrical work, so thats part of my reasoning, and that is why I have rebuilt a majority of my e30's harness to work with features that I use, and have removed all features I do not use.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver
                Man you can practically see the jealousy dripping out of your posts.
                91 m3

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                  If it was made after 1991, James is against it.
                  I have nothing against newer cars, I just perfer accomplising the same thing with older technology..which is one of the reasons I decided to go with an S38 over the more popular S50.

Its part of being Unique :)

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI

looks like a harbor freight torque wrench. what a cheapskate.

S54 w/ smg II swap and he uses harbor freight??

don't hate on the harbor freight.. they have some good shit.

could be northern tools as well (basically the same place)

I can feel ya on the sandals and socks... i hate that

if I wear anything at all when i'm working on cars, its actuall shoes, but barefoot is so much better unless you're working with sharp/heavy things.

and james... touche!

Comment

wowowow

he's flying through that swap
                      R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

MIT student, remember?
                        '91 318is
                        sigpic

Comment

its his bro that does that apparently

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
                            That is exactly how I feel about it, he's overcomplicating the entire installation, and not really doing anything special.

Its a cool concept, I fully realize that, however all he's basically doing is ripping a e46 m3 apart and putting it into an e30 chassis, electronics, steering column, and everything. There is nothing really custom about it, thats my issue.

Not flaming the guy, I just would not go about it that way.

If I did something that insane (which I would not, I can get similar power elseware) It would be a direct driveline swap, and then integrating with e30 electronics, which will be a hell of a lot more reliable and simple then swapping in an entire e46 harness and splicing it to run windows, doors, lights, etc.
                            Ha, an IT guy looking down on an engineer's effort.

Clearly JC believes putting a SMGII into an E30 is an easy task and something you can just plan out to the T and everything will go that way...

Quit whining nancy, he can worry about all the random crap you care about after he actually has it running... not making the wiring pretty now.

Comment

Yeah, HF torque wrenches blow. They lose calibration quickly. I wouldn't trust em. I have one. I use it mainly as a long 1/2" ratchet now. :D

Speaking of nitpicks, the way he went about doing the steering rack coupler, I would have rather seen him use better grade hardware. Not that it'd really matter, but if you did that same shit here in the northeast, those Home Depot bolts would be rusty stumps in no time. Also, they're probably Grade 5 fasteners. Maybe it's a positive anyway, in a crash you want it to break so the steering shaft doesn't go into your face.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Yeah, hes doing a fine job. Anyone see how the steering columb was mounted?

Originally posted by vlad
                                Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
                                X