Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Hmmmm saw this post in my thread.

So you notched the pan, but didn't lower the engine anymore? Over and inch of space seems like a little much to me

Those are pics from a car that is in the build process. He modified the pan but did not yet build the 'lowered' mounts.

I have my pan notched, and made mounts about 1" lower then the normal mounts. I took my own measurements, and the crank bolt is exactly where the m20 crank bolt was.

The common theory for the engine needing lowered about 3/4" is correct. This is done by either using subframe spacers, or by notching the pan and lowering the engine via custom mounts.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
      Those are pics from a car that is in the build process. He modified the pan but did not yet build the 'lowered' mounts.

I have my pan notched, and made mounts about 1" lower then the normal mounts. I took my own measurements, and the crank bolt is exactly where the m20 crank bolt was.

The common theory for the engine needing lowered about 3/4" is correct. This is done by either using subframe spacers, or by notching the pan and lowering the engine via custom mounts.
      Ah ok. That makes sense then, thanks for clarifying.

I was reading it as he hadn't lowered the engine yet and those were his measurements.

Comment

Has no one considered sectioning the top of the subframe?

Comment

That would require lowering the steering rack even further, affecting bump steer in the same way subframe spacers do.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Like JGood said, the problem isn't interference between the pan and the subframe, it's the pan and steering rack, AND the rack can't easily move because that would wreak havoc with bump steer.

However, the rack could be moved down if something like this were used to lower the tie rods as well (and the tie rod ends were replaced with standard rod ends).

Comment

Hi guys,

Im in my m60b40 swap right now.
              I'm currently busy with preppin the engine for the swap, engine bay is 80% ready.
              Still I have a couple of questions:
              For my setup im using a 5-speed with M5(E39) flywheel and M3 (e36) clutch. Will this work? so far I read it will, but I still would like some confirmation.

And for putting the engine in, would you guys recommend putting the transmission on the engine or mount it to the engine when it already is sittin in the bay?

BTW im from the Netherlands so please excuse me if I make grammar mistakes

Comment

Working...
              X