Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a brand new M3 sedan or an E30 M3 and a restored 2002?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colt601 View Post
    Background:

I would probably drive the E30 M3 and 2002 very very rarely due to fear of them getting damaged and I live on a 2 mile long gravel road.

The new M3 I would care a lot less about since it isn't rare and has a warranty.

I would probably have a lot more fun in it (new M3) since it would be driven more.

I think you already made up your mind...?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      One thing to possibly consider is an E30 M3 will continue to appreciate, but whatever chassis code the new M3 is (who cares honestly) will be forgotten in 5 years and depreciate heavily.
      Not totally true, as the e36 M3 is now enjoying some of the popularity the e30 used to have. I suppose it depends on the time frame your considering.
      Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
      I think you already made up your mind...?!?!?
      agreed
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

As someone who has both an E90 M3 and an F80...get the E90. It's a better experience, but the F80 is nice if you like modern stuff with comfort and technology.
        1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

I daily one of my 88 M3's. I beat the crap out the s14 every time I drive it and it never fails to put a smile on my face. I've driven a number of new M cars and there faster but become boring. The connection you get from any e30 compared to new cars can't be beat. I drive my M3 in stop an go traffic during rush hour , rain and even snow when I get the chance. I don't worry that it's a collector because I'd rather enjoy driving it than worrying about something happening to it.

Just make sure the s14 is in good health if you decide to got that route. The biggest let down for most is they buy an M3 with a tired engine that hasn't been taken care of maintenance wise. S14's aren't slow in good tune.

Comment

I used to own a 2015 M4. Special ordered it new with all the enthusiast options, carbon roof, 3 pedals, mperformance pack, etc.... and it wasn't great. Its fast, its comfy, it is good around corners, took it down to the tail of the dragon and while it felt very large it handled nicely. If you want it as a daily driver its pretty good and fun for that.

My ultimate problem with it is that it doesn't feel special. There is no sense of event driving it. It feels like your driving a 435 with a tune. There is a bit of turbo lag, the steering isn't great (way too heavy in anything but comfort and artificially so), it sounds terrible and its freaking huge. I had a B7 RS4 before the M$ and an e92 M3 before that as DDs and both cars sounded great, were quick and just felt special with the high revving NA engines. I certainly enjoyed driving them a lot more eventhough they were slower than the M4. Maybe I just don't like turbo charged cars because going to a GT3 is significantly better than an M4 and I cant see myself every going back to a new BMW M car unless they change something.

If you need a DD the M4 is fine but i would say that a friend of mine had an Alfa Giulia QF and I thought that was a better car for that purpose. if you want a fun car I would take the e30 M3 and 2002 all day every day and never look back.
            e30sport.net
            '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
            '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
            '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Great post brenner. I’ve never been in a bmw newer than 1991 so I can’t say what you’ve said, but I feel it and I see it. Sometimes I look at e39’s and e46’s and they are nice looking and tempting for the hp but my proverbial skirt doesn’t really take flight. My wife’s AWD Ford Escape (2017 sport with the 2 liter) is pretty fast and fun but it sounds awful and the traction control makes it stupid and that pretty much what I expect from any modern car.

My son and I do plan to go up to the dealer and drive some cars just for fun so I’m looking forward to that.
              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

This is a hard one, if you are going for a new M3 get one that is a year old certified, you wont take the hit on depreciation and have a ton left over.

The V8 in the E9x is intoxicating, it doesnt really have much torque but its super engaging to drive. As a DD the F80 is probably better, especially around town, but not as fun.

I tracked the F80 and its pretty amazing, but its a completely different feel than the cars (and most BMW's of old) than you are use too.

Its a brute force tail out car, while it can be balanced, it doesnt really need to be as much, I think if it closer to an AMG drive style with better handling.

An E90 M3 would be awesome to buy, the only thing you need to worry about is possibly rod bearings, but I will say everytime I press the accelerator on the S65 even if I am not moving fast the sound is just awesome!

I personally wouldnt go for your first option because of all your other old BMWs, it does have its advantages to have a car that just works.

Maybe sell some of your others buy the E30 M3 and then and E90 or F80. Oh and you can fully defeat the traction control in the new BMWs, or on an M put it in MDM mode, it let's you get into trouble, with little slides without going completely off the rails.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I skimmed this thread so apologies if this has been discussed but Staszek's sig photo got me thinking.

Have you considered a nicely swapped e30? S54, proper interior with working a/c etc. It would have all the fun to drive qualities of an e30 but with a more modern engine and comparable power/weight ratio of an e92 M3.

For way under $85k you could have a hell of a car that should hold it's value fairly well especially compared to anything newer. If done properly it can be daily driven for sure. I've put approx 60k miles on mine for example.

Just a thought.
                  Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Have you considered the E28 M5? It's a sedan, a classic, and it has nice performance!
                    '82 633CSi (euro) Jaws!
                    '84 318i, project?
                    '05 745li, DD when it wants to be...
                    '87 Corolla FX16, old faithful
                    '89 V1500 Suburban, GP rig
                    '69 Columbia 36 MkI, retirement home.

Comment

1M would be my choice.

Comment

For a daily, I’d get an E90 or E46 M3 and a 2002 for variety. Like others have said, you already have a 318is and I don’t think the E30 M3 would offer a drastically different experience.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Gonna drop a hot opinion here but my combo would be E92 M3 and 2002 tii or turbo depending on how the prices worked out. To me E30 M3s are too expensive for what you get and despite the whole eating its bearings issue I'd have an E92 M3 over that awful sounding current M3 in a heartbeat. I'd rather have a 2002 turbo than an E30 M3. E92 M3 and 2002 is a good combo of modern and classic.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

If I had those 3 nice BMWs and didn’t drive them much I wouldn’t be looking for another. That seems obsessive. Get a Defender 90 or Jeep Wrangler that you’ll actually use. For $85k you can get a nice NAS 90 or upgraded Rubicon.
                            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Two years ago I built an e46m3 wagon. Complete swap, minus the fenders, plus Ohlins, Ground Control mounting hardware, Eibach springs, Powerflex chassis bushings, Clutchmasters clutch with aluminum flywheel, big Apex 18s, I'm sure there's more.

Eighteen months ago I bought a '72 2002 tii.

Four months ago I bought a '76 2002 with a complete e30m3 swap; engine, trans, diff, subframes, brakes, suspension- all of it.

I just sold the tii. I'm in the process of selling the wagon.

My recommendation would be to buy a 2002 that's old enough you don't need to worry about emissions and is NOT A PRISTINE EXAMPLE THAT YOU NEED TO FREAK OUT ABOUT. Just get a decent one with little rust that runs good. If you build that little M10, either with a 38/38, dual carbs, ITBs with fuel injection, they can rip. Or you can swap an M42 into it. But think about something you can drive and not worry about. Find a nice running car in good condition in the 10-20 range. Could already have a hot rod motor, LSD, 5sp, GC suspension... And it's cheap enough you'll drive it up and down the dirt road... And don't worry about an s14- they're nice, but a built M10 in a little car is plenty.

Personally, I won't buy any newer BMW. They hired someone from VW/Audi that completely attempted to maximize profits over long term car durability- so they just don't last anymore. Really want a new BMW? I'd get the new Toyota Supra.

Comment

IMHO

It’s way more fun growing slower in a 2002 or an e30 M3 than any new bmw
                                “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X