rough start and bad idle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rough start and bad idle...

car starts rough and idles funny when i first start it. o2? idle sensor or something?

vacuumed leak look at your hoses and rubber closely for cracks if your on a budget use electrical tape to seal the cracks.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

I had a consistent 3-5 second crank time, and an idle that didn't visibly wobble, but the car shook. I did a ton of maintenance, as well as a turbo install, all at one time, and the problem went away. Things I replaced that might have been the culprit:
      TPS, ICV, injectors, spark plugs, injectors, fuel filter, o2 sensor, adjusted the valves.
      Problem is gone. My money is that it was the TPS sensor.

'88 325is
      VP UT of Austin Autoholics
      BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Well you don't have to worry about valves becase they are self adjusting, I am not sure that it is a vacume leak because it goes away right? I am not sure the the o2 would make it surge. Try idle control valve.

Mine surges a bit when it is cold and I first start it, but I always though that it was "Mr. Motronic" Shooting gas in the cold start valve (I think I got one) trying to help the car warm up. Mine goes away in like 2-3 min,

Hope that helps

GL

Comment

thanks for the help. i'll test a few things tomorrow.

Comment

Not the O2. Fuel system ignores it until it's producing a reliable signal (which it won't do until it warms up somewhat). Can't help you further though.
            The current fleet:
            1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
            1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
            1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

My guess is you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Don't forget to check the intake boot.

Comment

Working...
              X