Crank Bolt Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank Bolt Q

is there an easy way to remove the crank bolt on the M42 when the engine is already on a stand with the FW off?
    Originally posted by jrhaile
    For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Yes, rotate the engine so it is upside down and put the pin in the rotator sleeve on the engine stand. Place a block of wood between the crankshaft and block. With a 1/2" drive 22mm socket, use an extension bar (like a jack handle) about 3' long. Have someone stand on the engine stand base to keep it steady and put your weight on the bar. It will come loose. I just did this over the weekend.

Comment

My question is how are you suppose to tighten it back to speck? Isn't it like 300-400 Fpounds?

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

I just tightened mine to 250 lb ft. That is all my torque wrench went to.. I think its tight enough.
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

It is 230 ft-lbs. I just took a large breaker bar and a massive pipe and pushed as hard as I could. Granted, I did some calculations to make sure it wasn't more than 250 ft-lbs, but it worked great.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
            My question is how are you suppose to tighten it back to speck? Isn't it like 300-400 Fpounds?

i think that's only the S14
            Originally posted by jrhaile
            For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Comment

Working...
            X