Another m30e30 & a new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently the car is pulled apart after popping my head gasket

I haven’t managed to sort pistons/block machining yet(bills, life, & work)

Currently organising itbs, & emu ecu I’ll be running this on a stock bottom end & getting the spate m30 built up as a short block which I’ll marry with the top end in the future. This will let me spend time working out my serpentine belt setup with the mrt/ati damper

Currently I’m setting up my remote oil filter housing & cooler, build brackets tomorrow, this will be the Vac adapter, trust remote filter housing, & 16row aeroflow cooler, using -10 AN fittings to see good flow & a secure system

Made a new shroud for the rad, the oil cooler is mounted on the low side to clear the fan

I’ll be putting the rebuilt head on with my ARP studs, goetze head gasket,

Next job is making plates for the thermostat & water pump housing, I’ll be going down the track of a Davis Craig ewp150 so I can eliminate the need to make a serpentine pulley for the water pump, I’ll be moving to a e46 alternator as they run the same ribs as my ATI harmonic damper. I was going to fit the head this weekend but while the heads off I’m taking the chance to pull the gearbox & replace the well cooked clutch & get my lightweight flywheel

So make a start to the electric water pump setup, going with a Davis Craig ewp150 & making a bracket to mount from the old power steering pump location.

The plates are marine graded 5083 & will be getting AN bungs welded on, the thermostat housing one will be a squeeze but looking to get a -16 & -10 welded to it, otherwise it will be getting the outlets from the front of the thermo housing replicated on it.

Comment

While the head was off decided to pull the clutch, it’s been really noisy so it had me think the throw out bearing was dead, instead I found the spigot hadn’t been pushed in correctly & was ruined.

Anyway fun fact was easier to pull the motor than drop the box, taking the chance to hammer the firewall around the gearbox bolts. Removed the foam insulation which I’ll replace with heat reflective sheet, & clean 20yrs of filth out of th bay. The single mass has been shaved in the past weighing in at 6.5kgs but the RHD option is 3.8kg so getting one off Rama in 3wks time. I’ll hang onto the single mass for the turbo m30 project

Took the chance to de-potato the block, will probably regret dark blue if in the even I need to trace an oil leak. Just submitting an order for the windage tray that IE has just added to their m30 part list, which will see from top to bottom the motor having new seal/gaskets

Comment

I've been waiting so long for this. I am excite.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          I've been waiting so long for this. I am excite.
          I have 2 & 1/2months to get it back up & running so I’ll be making the most progress I can. Time is the biggest limiting factor at the moment(lack there of, work life balance is a bit heavy to the work side)
          Last edited by Anthony B; 11-28-2018, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Think they'll ever make an airbox for the itbs?
            i want those real bad. :X

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              I plan to bug Rama once I have mine fitted about an air box solution, I’ll need one if I want to jump through the hurdles to have my car road legal in New South Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                He's already developing an airbox for the M30 ITBs, but he said it will likely not clear the E30 booster in any iteration. I asked about iX booster, 944 booster, moving one of those boosters over, etc and he said there is a very very slim chance it'll fit in an E30 engine bay.

OP, you'll have to keep us posted once you get to that point.
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I probably going to go your route for oil cooler housing system. I do plan to use m88/3 intake with it's on m30. I will modify intake around brake booster.
                  Iook forward for up dates.
                  Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                    I probably going to go your route for oil cooler housing system. I do plan to use m88/3 intake with it's on m30. I will modify intake around brake booster.
                    Iook forward for up dates.
                    Being rhd I’m considering mounting the booster in the cabin. A mate of mine makes a similar setup to Ergon motorsports. But first off I thing getting a smaller booster will be my path

I ordered a windage tray from Ireland engineering, paid an extortionate amount in shipping, but it should arrive early next week(if fedex is kind to me). More updates tomorrow, I have a new engine stand so tomorrow motor will be easier to work on, timing chain refresh, sump off to await the windage tray, & I may start to fit up my head studs

Comment

I seen IE windage tray on line. I went back to read up on it. The price is great. I only live 65 miles away from IE.

I will be learning from your build.��
                      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Not much progress made over the weekend, Saturday managed to get it on the engine stand strip off the sump & pull the old timing chain & guides. Looks like the champ had been replaced but the guides weren’t they whet past their used by date.

Have managed to misplace my crank case gasket kit, so will order another this week. My IE order is scheduled for deliver today which from the US to Aus in 6days is pretty impressive

Comment

Bit more work done today, timing chain & guides replaced along with the timing case getting some fresh gaskets. Foolish move by me I managed to misplace my rear main seal so I couldn’t fit the recently arrived IE windage tray.

Ordered a rear main, & water pump gasket so I can finish facing my ewp setup. Studs are hand tight for now, head will be on next weekend

Comment

So itbs are home, trial fitted them on Saturday. Now it’s time to torque the head down & start buttoning up this motor.... well it would have been but rookie error on my part & I dropped a stud into the timing cover, so off cam the sump luckily I had a spare sump gasket. I found the offending stud nestled down at the oil pump.

So torquing thehead down next weekend along with timing the motor

Awaiting my flywheel to arrive, & deciding on clutch options, once that’s sorted the motor can go back in & I can figure out plumbing the electric water pump

Comment

Another Saturday’s work done, head is torqued down 30lb 15min, 60lb 15mins, 90lb 15mins once I get the engine running & upto temp I’ll pull the cover & they will all get another nip.

Covers are now on, sorting out the ignition coil mount plan is to use the old afm bracket & make a plate to weld to it.

And an early Christmas present from myself arrived, tracking down some clutch bits & pieces new flywheel bolts are a priority

It’s starting to look like a motor again, & slowly is getting closer to being back in the bay

Comment

m30s are so fuckin' cool!
                                Paynemw
                                1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                                the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                                1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
                                X