5 Lug Nasieg rub issues - Tire/Wheel Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Lug Nasieg rub issues - Tire/Wheel Questions

I recently upgraded the brakes using the nasieg 5 lug adapter kit using e46 front bearings and the e30 m3 rear flange. I am having some issues figuring out the correct offset / spacers / tire combinations to minimize rub. Currently the front tires rub inside the wheel well in the back; and the rear tires rub over bumps or if there is a lot of weight in the car.

Current Setup:

Borbet style T, 17x8 et40 225/45r17 tires

Front: e46 bearing (+12.5mm from stock) + 7mm spacer
    Rear: e30 m3 flange (+0mm from stock) + 12mm spacer

Running e30 m3 springs on Bilstein HDs, which are a bit soft...

1. What are other people running for tires/spacers with this setup?

2. What is the ideal offset rims? (Suggested was et40 w/ spacers 10-20mm for rear only, none up front)

3. What is the ideal tire size? (Considering 205/45r17 or 215/45r17?)

4. Do i need to be running a lower offset rim like a et20 or et25?

Pics:

Fronts are a bit more pushed out than the rears to clear the struts.

Thanks!
    Last edited by itsonlygeorge; 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM. Reason: sanity
    sigpic
    1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
    I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

A friend runs a very similar 5 lug setup on his car (e30 m3 rear w/sleeve conversion for e36 hub up front), and on 17x8 et20 wheels he runs no spacers with 215/40/17 tires. The front wheels are relatively flush, but rolling the front fenders took care of any rubbing.

I think the 225/45/17 tire may be a bit too tall as that's the taller e36 sized tire. When my friend used 225/50/16 on e38 weaves, there were lots of rubbing issues (also an e36 sized tire), but once he downsized to the correct 225/45/16 tire and rolled the fenders, all those issues went away.

Comment

Im hoping to avoid rolling the fenders. Im thinking that a different offset wheel is a better option. I guess Ill look for et20 rims to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

If I'm understanding your writing regarding the location where the tires are rubbing, it sounds like the tire is too tall. 40 series would be much better. That said, front camber plates would be helpful in getting the caster and camber in a position to fit the max size tire. On the rear, jack up the suspension and see exactly where and how it is rubbing. Maybe an offset change, or subtle movement of the inner fender will be enough. Bottom line is getting the car up in the air, and seeing clearances to determine what needs to be done.

Comment

Your tires are the wrong size.

They are an inch larger diameter then they re supposed to be.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

So what is the correct size to run on those et 40 rims? I'd like to mot use a spacer at least for the front.

1. 205/45r17
            2. 215/40r17
            3. 215/45r17

Can I get away with running a 215/45r17 winter tire? Looking at General Arctic Altimax for those...

It seems like an et 30 (or et35) rim would be ideal upfront with the +12mm from the hub it ends up at a et18 for the final offset. That leaves the inner rim at pretty much the same distance as stock and the outside pokes out by 25mm more from stock.
            Last edited by itsonlygeorge; 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Test fit a set of 215/45r17 today and had a tiny bit more clearance. Still not convinced there wont be rub on the brake ducts or wheel well. Only good winter tires available in 205/40r17 are blizzaks and they are not cheap.
              sigpic

Comment

idk if this helps or not but i don't think they are too tall.
                i have 205/65/15 which is 0.87'' taller and it doesn't rub on ie3 springs / koni sa.

it's different because you have soft springs so maybe i guess they are probably too tall.

Since you have et40 you can get the spacing down perfectly
                did u measure with washers how you want the wheels or did u just have those spacers offhand?
                you'll have to roll the fenders at least e30s have terribly small wheel wells that's just the way it is.

also, is there a big difference in the way it brakes i'm doing the 5lug thing as well just wondering. ;0

Comment

I am looking at Hankook ยท 205/45R17 WINTER I*CEPT EVO2 W320 at the moment. I was hoping to find a better rim/tire that was used and would fit, but thats not the case. These run 89$ tire...

The only other option is 205/40r17 Blizzaks at a 148$ per tire...
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X