Project: Glorious Bastard 1991 750iL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julien View Post
    I'd just get some kind of race fuel tank and call it done :)
    http://www.protuninglab.com/alu-ft-t...d=140846634058
    We were actually kicking this idea around. Removing the spare tire well, and doing a fuel cell across the whole back of the car. or putting a fuel cell in the larger area, and just loosing fuel capacity. The original tank is L shaped.

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
    Ahh.....everything I'm finding around here is 1988-89. Really want a 1990+ engine harness and ECUs.
    I'll confirm the year when I go out there the next time. I think this is one of those yards that will not sell any engine harnesses separately . I know he wanted $300 for the motor, assume that includes the harness. the problem for you would be getting it all the way out to your end of the US....
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
      We were actually kicking this idea around. Removing the spare tire well, and doing a fuel cell across the whole back of the car. or putting a fuel cell in the larger area, and just loosing fuel capacity. The original tank is L shaped.

I'll confirm the year when I go out there the next time. I think this is one of those yards that will not sell any engine harnesses separately . I know he wanted $300 for the motor, assume that includes the harness. the problem for you would be getting it all the way out to your end of the US....
      Oh yeah....figure a harness wouldn't be too terrible. Not interested in an engine that far, I've got like 4 of them.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Well, the Bastard is officially mine now. I got the title in the mail the other day.

As for actually working on her, I have not had much time. I was able to get all the injectors pulled, and cleaned. I also cleaned the fuel rails while I had them out. 4 of the 12 injectors were pretty plugged. I managed to get them all flowing pretty good. Eventually, I will send them out to be cleaned properly.

I also was able to back flow the lines with air, and flush them out. The gas that was in the line was nasty, as expected, But I didn't see any rust come out with the fuel, so thats good. Over the winter I'm really hoping I can get the fuel system up and running, and be able to eval and fix the other crap.

Inspiration for sure:

If I keep the bastard, thats what I would ultimately end up at.
        Last edited by delamaize; 06-30-2017, 08:36 PM.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Update time!
          Nothing new to report.
          I've been up to my eyeballs with other projects and work. I really have not had time to do too much with the bastard. It's still sitting, and the fuel rails with injectors are still sitting on my work bench. I'm still trying to locate a fuel tank, Most of the junk yards around here punch a hole in them to drain the fuel, which is beyond frustrating. Especially when these tanks have a freaking drain.

I'm hoping to get some time here soon, and get something temporary made for a fuel tank, if for nothing else, to start the poor thing.

I've contemplated selling it also, Since I don't know, realistically, how much I'd drive it. Then another part of me, thinks I should do this with the motor:

Whatever I decide to do, you'll know about it here!
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Speaking from experience, a $200 car is never a $200 car.

That's a great find btw. I'm excited to see what you make of it!!

Comment

Well, I have kinda fell on shitty times financially. So this is what has to give, I'm leaving it up for sale until Finances change.

Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Well, I got some motivation over the last few days, and:

So, The tank is a 3 gallon bucket under the trunk, on the ground, fuel pump is a walbro 255. It's a very temporary solution. So, it won't rev, over about 1500 RPM, the idle is hit and miss, and their is a random squeak from the front of the motor. I did put it in reverse, and drive, and it does move.

Not sure what I'm doing with it now, But I'm a very long way off from anything really. I'm just glad to know it runs on it's own, not just with starting fluid.
                Last edited by delamaize; 06-30-2017, 08:39 PM.
                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Yay! The bastard lives! Keep up the good work!
                  1993 Laguna M50 "Helen"
                  1987 M20 325i "Ron Burgundy"
                  1987 M20 325e "Billy"

"He who shall be last shall be sideways and smiling." - Clarkson

Comment

Wooooo!

The one in the Hammer is running fine on a 255 TRE pump. Does the EML light go off after start up?

Comment

Wooooo!

The one in the Hammer is running fine on a 255 TRE pump. Does the EML light go off after start up?
                      Yeah, I had a CEL for a bit, but it shut off, I have no warning lights for the motor, and the only "warning" message I have besides lights not working, is the coolant level, but it's good, so I think the sensor is shot.
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Word. I was going to say the revs limited to 1500 could be the EML throttles needing to get synced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Word. I was going to say the revs limited to 1500 could be the EML throttles needing to get synced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          So, dumb question inbound, How would I check to make sure things are in sync?
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

You gonna need any body panels? I may be picking up a 740i same color for the engine
                            WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                            92 525it 5 speed.
                            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                              So, dumb question inbound, How would I check to make sure things are in sync?
                              Really, if there are no problems the EML light in the center of the cluster should be off when it's running. Might be worth while though to take the throttles off and clean them out. I assume you've seen Shogun's site on e32 (particularly M70 ones) maintenance and fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                                You gonna need any body panels? I may be picking up a 740i same color for the engine
                                I could really use the tank, and tank straps and the trunk lid at the minimum. Actually, there is a lot of other body parts this poor girl needs. But I'm going to be dead broke for quite a while though. I might be able to swing something for some of the necessities. Shoot me a message when you get it, maybe we can work something out.

Really, if there are no problems the EML light in the center of the cluster should be off when it's running. Might be worth while though to take the throttles off and clean them out. I assume you've seen Shogun's site on e32 (particularly M70 ones) maintenance and fixes.
                                Oh yeah, I've filtered though his sites quite a few times, Guess I need to sit down and actually study them.
                                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                                X