No announcement yet.

DIY Independent Fog Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have HID fogs so I'm not sure. Is your brother's and your car the same models? I know that the early models and late models actually had slightly different wiring schematics.

Comment

^ 16 et al

Thanks for the tip. Worked like a champ -- 1991 325ix w/ stock sealed beams. There's a similarly easy work around for the 88-89 ellipsoids involving the K4 relay, but that didn't apply to my car.

I've got a set of euro smilies sitting in my garage. No idea if this indy fog light mod I just did will be affected when I install those. I might check back and give progress on that.

First post right here. I think I might stick around a while. Lots of great stuff among this community. Thanks for having me.
      Attached Files

Comment

If it's as simple as bending the pin and soldering a wire I'll have to give it a shot on my 89.

Comment

Originally posted by e30edward View Post
          If it's as simple as bending the pin and soldering a wire I'll have to give it a shot on my 89.
          You dont have to bend. I dunno why people do that.

Comment

I am going to try this my m3.
            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is View Post

Doing this will allow the fogs to operate without the headlights on. You do have to have the parking lights on though.
              I'll be damned, this method worked for my '88 325e. Good shit.:up:

Comment

Tried jumping 87 to 30 on k4; didn't work but made my low beams come on the instant the relay touched the socket. Tried the pictured work around with the k8 relay (bend 85 and jump it to 30) using a non-modified k4; nothing.

09/87 325 (face-lifted)

Any tips?

EDIT: After giving up, I installed a new headlight relay and decided to use my old one in place of my now modified-foglight relay. So, after un-soldering the wires from the terminals, I put it (the orignal headlight relay) in the foglight socket and lo, the fogs now come on whenever I want as long as there's keyed-on ignition. Durrr...

Part # for similar relay to the one I used: 0 332 019 451 (bosch relay)
                Last edited by DylanG6TI; 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

^I am retarded when it comes to electrical stuff. Can you post pics? I want to get my 87 verts fogs to be independent.

Comment

Brezzi, I don't know if this will work the same on your car but i'm 90% sure it should. Just use the Bosch part number I supplied above, should be around $10-$15 at your local car quest, auto zone, etc. Just your basic 4 prong headlight relay, placed in your foglight (k8 ) socket.

Your old relay

Your new relay

Good luck, hope this helps!
                    Last edited by DylanG6TI; 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Totally forgot about this thread. Just to confirm my car has a build date of 10/89. I've run this setup for many years with no issues to speak of.

Comment

I've plugged in other fuses from the fuse box like the highbeam one in the low beam spot and the other block (k) fuses the only thing that happens is that well you ONLY get independent fogs and no low beam cause I have ellipsoids might work on other models. Just soldered 30 and 87 together and no problem so far hope my car doesnt catch on fire or something overnight :|

Comment

Originally posted by Nick325is View Post

Doing this will allow the fogs to operate without the headlights on. You do have to have the parking lights on though.
                          I used this method and it worked perfect

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free

Comment

The 318is Wiring is a little different but similar in ways.
                            It only has one 5 pin relay which is high beam.
                            Low beam and fog lights have 4 pin.
                            Also fog light switch has 2 wires not 3.
                            Shown here in this diagram below.
                            Basically the same concept just have to do it in different spots.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This was the easier write up, if any at all. I tried the BMWdiy.INFO and it was hecka confusing and in the end didnt work (jumper was on the K4 relay)

Anyway, the R3v still rules on DIYs

Comment

Working...
                              X