Panici's '87 325is E30 - Boosted In Bronze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glovebox Hidden/Stealth Radio

I had previously (quickly) installed a headless radio setup, complete with terrible wiring job. I then jammed the components behind the dash. This left me with only a power switch and 3.5mm input beside my single VDO gauge.

I've since decided the audio quality of this setup is good enough until the car is "finished" and I install an audiophile worthy stereo, so I wanted to make the whole thing a little prettier.

-

-

I was getting kind of tired looking at my cracked and taped together radio panel (complete with VDO gauge constantly falling out). I relocated my audio system to the glovebox and rewired everything properly this time (Would have looked nicer if I used 20ga wiring instead of the 16ga I had on hand).
    Unfortunately I used my VDO oil pressure sender in my jeep a few years back, so I need to purchase a new one for the E30 to make the gauge functional.

While I was in there, I also ran all the wiring for my VDO oil temperature gauge. I seem to have misplaced my ashtray delete panel, so I didn't actually get to installing that gauge.
    -

-
    Youtube video of the system in action:
    BMW E30 Hidden (Stealth) Radio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyxYN4VdFCM

Last edited by Panici; 05-25-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

That looks fantastic! Turning into quite the cockpit :)

Comment

Custom Exhaust Repack
        June 15th, 2018

Unhappy with the quiet state of my ANSA Sport cat back exhaust system, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
        I wanted something a little throatier, without sacrificing highway driveability.

As a test, I cut open the muffler, removed half the packing, tack welded the old metal in place, and gorilla taped the seams.

After driving around for a while, I was mostly happy with the sound but wanted to remove a little rasp/drone.
        I added some additional packing (from the other side), and fully welded up the muffler (using sheet metal from my old 325e parts car roof no less!)

I'm pleased with the final sound, and it was free!

Last edited by Panici; 05-26-2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Nice work!
          1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
          1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
          E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

AGM Battery & Mechanical Fan Delete
            June 2018

Now that I have added electrical load with my SPAL fan and HIDs, I thought it prudent to address my aging electrical system.

I installed a Motormaster Eliminator Ultra Sealed AGM battery and a new Bosch voltage regulator. These items together returned my system voltage to the normal range under load.

Now that the car is effectively cooled by the SPAL fan, I removed the mechanical fan & shroud. These weighed in at 4.4lbs.

Last edited by Panici; 01-20-2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Rocker Arm Replacement
              August 2018

I broke a rocker arm in June.
              Frankly i'm surprised it didn't happen sooner, as I over-revved the motor quite badly at the track on October 12th, 2016 (See post 172). From the video, it looks like the motor briefly saw ~8000rpm.

I sat on the problem for a month, before finally deciding it was worth the effort to replace the rocker arm. (My alternative was to expedite my M52b28 swap.)

I was able to replace the rocker arm without removing the head, and the car is again running strong.
              I'm glad I decided to spend the time replacing the rocker arm, as I greatly enjoyed the car for the rest of the season (details to come)!

-

-

Comment

My E30's First Camping Trip
                August 2018

Shortly after replacing my broken rocker arm, I left with my fiancée and parents (on her side) for a camping trip to Arrowhead Provincial Park.

We packed the trunk full, and embarked on the longest distance I've driven the E30. As always I enjoyed the driving experience, and even found a few winding roads in proximity to the campground.

The only unfortunate part of the trip was the return journey. It was 34c (93f) plus humidex on the highway where we were stuck idling in traffic (in direct sun) for an extended time period. This was a challenge to bear without an AC system, and we took frequent stops to rest and hydrate.
                It was however an excellent test of the mechanical fan delete, and the SPAL electric fan performed flawlessly.

Last edited by Panici; 01-20-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Tedfest 2018
                  August 2018

Entered my E30 into its first car show! I found out about the event the night before, and registered minutes before the deadline.

Tedfest is an all-BMW car show, with a focus on vintage rides.
                  They welcome cars in all states, which is lucky as my E30 still needs quite a bit of visual restoration!

I have never seen so many E30s in one place before, and I had a good time checking out everyone's hard work.

Last edited by Panici; 04-07-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

M52B28 Continued.
                    August 2018 & November 2018

Way back on Page 1 of this build thread, I pulled this M52B28 out of an E39.
                    I've now moved this engine twice between houses!

Unfortunately it sat outside under a tarp for the better part of a year. Before I stored the motor, I neglected to put the bolts back into the intake manifold, and some water sat on top of the valves.

This year I bought both an E34 M50 oil pan setup, and E36 motor mount arms.

The plan is still to convert the engine to standalone management (MS3X is the leading candidate) and turbocharge. Unfortunately life, time, and money continue to delay the dream!

Last edited by Panici; 04-07-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

That motor will need a LOT of love, but if the plan is to turbocharge it, you can kill two birds with one stone as you tear it apart
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        That motor will need a LOT of love, but if the plan is to turbocharge it, you can kill two birds with one stone as you tear it apart
                        Absolutely, and that's the plan! :)

Comment

Broken Driveshaft & Garage Photos
                          August 2018

I developed a wobble on one of my 14" basketweave's tires (belt starting to separate).
                          As a stopgap, I swapped in my 15" iX 'weaves (with winter tires) on the rear axle.
                          Unfortunately these snows were quite sticky in the heat, and I snapped my rear u-joint instead of breaking the tires free as planned!

I managed to find one relatively local, and after a "quick" drive to Penetanguishene (~6 hour round trip) I had a replacement.

Happy to have the E30 repaired, I pulled the toys out of the garage to clean up, and took some group photos!

Last edited by Panici; 04-19-2019, 09:28 PM.

Comment

15" Euroweaves Finally Mounted!
                            September 2018

I finally bought a set of tires for my Euroweaves. I bought these wheels for $400 back in March 2016 (Build Thread Post 98).

Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (205/55R15) on 15x7 BBS "Euroweaves" [ET-24].

Currently running without wheel spaces, but will be running 5mm fronts and 10mm rears for spring 2019.

-

Interesting shot. 14" basketweaves on the front of the car, 15" iX 'weaves on the rear of the car, and 15" euroweaves piled up after a wash (but before new tires).

-

Couple of teaser shots, photoshoot coming up in the next post!

-

14" 'weaves vs 15" euroweaves.
                            Subtle but tasteful improvement IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                              15" Euroweaves Finally Mounted!

Lookin’ good!!! How’s the ride difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Panici; 04-13-2023, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Originale30 View Post
                                Lookin’ good!!! How’s the ride difference?
                                Thank you! : )

Car rides a little firmer with the thinner & sportier compound tires.
                                Feels better in the corners as well.

I notice the power loss compared to the lighter 14" wheel setup, and the rear axle is certainly less lively when pushed. Feels like it needs more power now.

Comment

Working...
                                X