No announcement yet.

New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today after work I stopped by the BMW dealer to get my new rear brake lines and the T case bushing.
    I then started with disassembly the front strut housing. Still needed to remove the ABS sensors which were stuck, I left them soaking in some AF and acetone the day before. I finally got them free. They are in a whole lot better condition that the rear sensors. the rears are not cylindrical anymore.. Might look to get them replaced with good used ones.

Finally I will know what springs are fitted since there is a BMW part no printed on the front springs, I just couldn't read it fully. I've wanted to know this because mine sits a whole lot lower than my uncles iX Touring.

After being done with the sturts, I started with the transmission. I used some 450mm and 600mm long extensions and a 3/8" joint to get the torx bolts loose. I noticed the top bolt was missing, looks like someone already removed the transmission before. This made it pretty easy for me though :)

It'll need a degreasing and some new seals, other wise I'm gonne leave it as it still shifts nicely

And finally I removed the clutch and flywheel. The clutch was once replaced before as there is a LUK branded clutch set installed. There is still quite some meat left but I'll go ahead and replace it anyway since I have already bought a brand new Sachs kit.

Flywheel will need a resurface since there is some heavy grooving. Could this explaing the judder I have when slowly releasing the clutch?
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

My sons car shudders pretty hard too. We are curious why so thanks for posting this. Always love your car , by the way.
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

This weekend I started with beadblasting of the hardware and parts.
        I used my small cabinet for the bolts and smaller less rusted stuff, on Sunday I went to my work where we have a big sandblasting cabinet and endless amount of compressed air :p

Was able to blast every part even the rusty brake calipers! ;)

Here's how I organize the parts after I basted them. After getting the plated parts back, I print the picture and lay every bolt on the sheet. Than bag everthing up. I did this also when I blasted every single nut and bolt from my 2002 Touring and didn't loose or forget a single bolts/nut/washer :)

There is still some pitting left but they dip the parts in acid anyway so shoudln't be a problem.

And everthing bagged up with plenty of WD40 on the bare metal

I also started disassembling the CV axles (front and rear). Next weekend I'll blast the supsension parts. Probably this week I'll start the disassembly of the T case(s)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I got all of the cv's completely stripped down.
          I carefully pried open the metal cup on the front inner cv's so I could clean them out completely. Everything it now taped up and ready to get blasted.
          I also removed the CV joint of the rear driveshaft (which is specific to the iX Touring btw.)

I'll blast these after my work tomorrow and put them in primer awaiting some black 2K epoxy.

Also got started on the teardown of the spare transfer case. As you can see the VC is clearly shot as there was silicone all over the inside of the housing + rubber bits of the blown seals. I'll use the in and output shafts of this one as the splines on my original TC is pretty much stripped. I'll have a look at which chain of the two is in the best shape and use that one. I don't want to use my new chain as of yet.. Might get some more live out of this one right :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Another update on the Touring

After work this week, I sandblasted the CV axle housings and covered them in some primer. These are now ready to receive some black 2k epoxy.

I started degeasing the new housings of the TC which I intended to use, I later found out that I won't be able to use these so that suck as I put quite a bit of time in to get these looking fresh.

So turns out the TC currently fitted under my Touring is an early type TC, which has a smaller VC than the later type.
            Because of this the (mainly the rear section) housings are also different. I was planning on swapping the housings since my VC is still good but the threads of the drainplug are stripped. I'll probably get the original drain hole welded up and re drill and tap threads for the drain plug.

So yeah, a little set back :p

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

On Sunday I went back to my work to use the steam pressure washer, to give the transmission & TC a clean. I got most of the dirt off of the housing, I'll go ahead and beadblast the housings as well, probably tomorrow.
              There's a holiday on Wednesday so I don't have to go to work, however. I'll probably go anyway to use the sandblaster and paint booth to finally start freshing up the trailing arms, strut housings etc..

While I was at work, I milled the head off of the socket head screws that hold the vibration damper to the housing. I couldn't remove the bolts and they started to get stripped. Once the pressure was off by milling the head off, I was able to turn them out of the housing.

I also used the press and removed the old ball joints from the LCAs

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

very nice! this is the most extensive preparation for a road trip I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  very nice! this is the most extensive preparation for a road trip I've ever seen.
                  Thanks! Well, it was long overdue anyway so I prefer to have it all dailed before the roadtrip :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today was a holiday in Belgium so we had a day off from work. But I went anyway to get my parts sandblasted and put in anti corrosion primer (Corroless)

I'm happy with the result, was able to give everything 2 layers. Still need to do the swaybars, rear trailing arms and rear subframe as I ran out of time.

A couple of pictures

Goddam. what a tedious work to sandblast a spring :p

Very happy with the finish of the primer, it layed down nice and smooth

Front struts, the right one is in pretty good shape. I'm guessing because of the oil that leaked out of the shock..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Sandblasting the springs is a risky business - the chance of creating micro cracks that create a big crack is high.

I can bet most of the left side of the car is in worse condition than the right. In 30 years all the stuff that the forthcoming cars are throwing at you is captured by the left side of the vehicle. My left strut actually had holes in it already and yours isn't far from it as I can see. Still, could be worse: https://e30-talk.com/topic/104026-su...ouring/page-11

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by Aigar View Post
                        Sandblasting the springs is a risky business - the chance of creating micro cracks that create a big crack is high.

I can bet most of the left side of the car is in worse condition than the right. In 30 years all the stuff that the forthcoming cars are throwing at you is captured by the left side of the vehicle. My left strut actually had holes in it already and yours isn't far from it as I can see. Still, could be worse: https://e30-talk.com/topic/104026-su...ouring/page-11

Keep up the good work!
                        Oh, you're te owner of the CalypsoiX Touring on Instagram right?
                        Love your updates and of course that color! It looks great!

I've never heard of that before. I've sandblasted several springs now and never had a problem. Both painting and powdercoating them afterwards.

Yes, I was even thinking to myself I might have to pick up a second set for in the future. Why not get some new ones from BMW.. Although they are not cheap - they have no rust.. :p
                        Getting the all of the rust out of the seam of the tube and spring cup is near impossible.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Another update on the Touring.
                          Last week I received my new Lemforder inner balljoints. Wow , these are stiff! ALthough I can't feel any play on my old ones, they wiggle back and forth very easily.

Also this sleeved needle bearing came in the mail. When I first made an order of SKF bearings for the T-case, I ordered the wrong type of needle bearing - just a caged type.. I was able to find the INA part no and ordered it from Ebay as it's also NLA from BMW.

As I didn't have enough time to finish sandblasting and primering the suspension parts, I got up pretty early this Saturday. I wanted to be sure I had enough time to complete the rear subframe and trailing arms since I had to got somewhere in the afternoon. After first having to remove the ruberized coating on the underside of te beam and arms, I was able to finally put them in the Corroless paint. I these also 2 coats, Sunday evening I'll go get them when they are completly dry.

Happy with the results.

The sandblasting cabinet at work was just big enough to fit the rear subframe. I had to put it in diagonal and rotate is a couple of times to get all of the nooks and crannies.

I also got my flywheel back from my local machinist, as I do have a lathe at work, I decided to let him do the resurfacing as I din't know how much matarial I can take off. When getting my flywheel back, I gave him the other half of my transfer case to weld the drainhole close so I can put in some new threads.

Hopefully, I can get the transfercase back together by the end of next week and start putting everything in 2k black epoxy on Friday evening. I'll also have to call the company where I sent my rear diff to to get an estimate on how much longer it will take.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Just read this thread from beginning to end.

.... wow. What incredible work. Fantastic.

Can’t wait to see your updates!

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                              Just read this thread from beginning to end.

.... wow. What incredible work. Fantastic.

Can’t wait to see your updates!
                              Thanks man! Can't wait to finally drive it again :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I started on cleaning up the first haf of the transfer case, turned out pretty well

After that I focused on the transmission, replacing all of the seals. The seal driver kit I bought recently made quick work fitting them.

Condor brass clutch pivot vs the worn down plastic one

I also resealed the little cap that holds the springs in place as there was some oil leaking when I degreased it.

All of the suspension parts laid out on the floor, I'll get them finished up on Friday evening after work

While sorting out the new parts - which one thaht have to ge pressed into parts, I discovered the brand new BMW bushing for the T case is already teared in two places.. Another trip to the dealership it is.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X