A Tale of 2 Sedans M42/S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    Looks like I still have EWS, so DME is going back to Markert.

This is good newsas I have not found anything else that looks bad and I have been going mad trying to diagnose what could be wrong... I am about to head off to JRTC at Ft Polk, so taking a month break, going to nug away at little things before then, feeling confident enough to get going on exhaust.
    Have fun at Polk. That place sucks. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
      Have fun at Polk. That place sucks. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      it truly does...

Worked on the brakes today, bled the lines with Pentosin Super DOT4 and made a nice setup for the vacuum line. Used a 540 vacuum line (34331163979), not the cheapest option but the area is tight and i wanted formed angles, I'm happy with how it came out.

Comment

318i Sedan - S52 ~ it’s alive!

little bit of an update. While waiting for the DME I got to work on wrapping up the wiring, started with some bosch smileys I purchased last year. I polished the glass, applied LaminX and wired up the plugs and wrapped them with Tesa tape as the loose wires were driving me nuts.

I ended up getting amber LEDs for the city lights and wiring them to the turn signal, I like how it came out:

I also live in a state where rust destroys, and I know I wont drive this in the winter, and that the tan factory undercoating has an appeal, I hit it with NoxRust to keep the cancer away

Last edited by eternal24k; 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM.

Comment

318i Sedan - S52 ~ it’s alive!

And luckily the DME returned just in time.

I installed the driveshaft with new CSB and the Syncro design exhaust, unfortunately my headers did not have the studs so I had to pick up some bolts, made install a little trickier, but my gf gave me a hand keeping a wrench on the back end.

Also had to cut the rear valence for the exhaust, may touch up later when i get back next month

Last edited by eternal24k; 05-28-2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Video of first start, assuming smoke is the marvel I had sitting in the cylinders.

Car is idling at 2-3k, way too high. I already cut the E34 rubber grommet back to get more length on the cable, but still doesn’t close all the way.

Going to have to fix that when I get back

Comment

Anyone with issues using E34 throttle cable and OBD2 throttle body? Wondering if I should try a different cable

Comment

You can try bending the arm a bit on the throttle body to give the cable more room to close the flap.
                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Congrats on the start-up!

Currently building a badass coffee table
                  Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Thanks, looking forward to getting back to wrap it up.

I ordered a vacuum coolant filler setup to help with the notorious PITA M42 radiator as I had a hard time bleeding before I left. Never had an issue with the M42 but struggled with this setup.

Otherwise I am on the fence on making a bracket to use the E34 cable or getting one of the many E36 cable options.

Comment

For those planning on doing the E34 throttle cable with an OBD2 throttle body, I found the easiest way to gain some length. I shortened the textured portion that you spin to thread and the casing that it covers to gain about 8-9mm of cable length, which gave me some slack and still allowed for the TB to fully open

And with a new AFe Dry Filter, found my temporary intake setup until I make or buy an air box

And picked up some Continental ExtremeContact Sports in 205/50R15

I may put the E90 drop hats on to bring the front down, but will probably wait until after I have a skid plate...

I took her for a VERY short drive down the road, registering her today and will go out tonight after I top off the coolant and put the interior together

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                        and my friend in Germany just picked up these wheels for me ;D

HOPING they will work with RX7 BBK....
                        Can you tell me the name and brand of these? I live in Germany now and want a set of these SO badly!
                        Paynemw
                        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                          Can you tell me the name and brand of these? I live in Germany now and want a set of these SO badly!

MIM 1900s, i found them on some German Craigslist cheap and my buddy who was at Stuttgart picked them up, only cost him $140 to ship them back with tires on!
                          They're Italian, but easier to find over there...
                          Last edited by eternal24k; 05-30-2019, 05:39 AM.

Comment

went for a nice 30 mile test drive
                            *crummy pics*

The Good:
                            Car fired right up, ran great, suspension was tight, no vibrations, smoooooth, and the temp was below half while moving and only went up to mid point when stopping for some quick pics

The Bad:
                            Exhaust was louder than I wanted, not bad sounding, just not as subtle as I had hoped, luckily not too droney but loud when you hit the gas

The Ugly:
                            Oil Temp on cluster is not working
                            I had 3 lights dimly lit (!), Parking Brake, and Battery Light. When I got close to ending my trip I had the ABS come on...

Bad alternator?

For record sake, the car was at 2700rpm in 5th gear going 65mph

Temp while on the move:

Comment

Any issues with smoke on heavy deceleration? Mine smokes. Smart going obd2 and keeping the oil seperator.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
                                Any issues with smoke on heavy deceleration? Mine smokes. Smart going obd2 and keeping the oil seperator.

Didn’t see any smoke. Had some smoke early on from the exhaust wrap and other oils burning off though

Comment

Working...
                                X