e30 electronics work perfectly fine but starter isn't getting enough power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 electronics work perfectly fine but starter isn't getting enough power

Hey guys so i want your opinions/advice. About half a year ago, my starter went and decided to tuck it away for the winter time. Now that's spring, it's time to bring it out again. Tried cranking the car with the original starter on a fully charged battery, just a click. Headlights, as well as all the other electronics, don't dim at all. Changed the starter last night and this time, when i turn the key, i hear multiple clicks as if the battery is dead. Tried a different battery as well as hooked the jumper cables up to the car via my daily... same thing happens. My friend that has had a good amount of experience with e30's told me it's the engine harness because it seems like all of the electronics work perfectly fine except the starter isn't getting enough power. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I would start by replacing or at least checking the condition of the engine ground cable. This cable is responsible for grounding all engine bay electronics especially the starter and alternator. If you have never replaced it, it may cause the condition you are experiencing.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
    X