E46 M3 vert with SMG- bite or run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 vert with SMG- bite or run?

Got a chance to look at a higher mileage ( well not for an E30)
    M3 with an SMG tranny.
    Price is good and just been through shop with clean bill of health.

But SMG I hear stories that scare me. Should be pick up this clean beast for cheap run for the hills away from it?

147,000 miles but in new shape
    "just love those little tanky inline 6's"

IMO

fuck that.. vert AND an smg tranny... no thanks...
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

You're going to want to know the detailed service history of that SMG, that's for sure.

398-pound weight gain from its power top and various and sundry reinforcements.
      (link)

That + SMG = hard pass to me.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

I would take it if the price was right. I understand people are scared of the SMG because of the repair bill, but the most I have seen someone spend on an SMG repair was $1800 and that was having a shop do it. The bottom line is do you want a vert? If so, and the price is good, I wouldn't be scared of the SMG. I think the SMG gets an unfair judgement.
        Instagram
        Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
        F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
        E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
        E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
        E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

You can always convert the SMG to a traditional 6 speed if the pump fails rather than replacing it.

Comment

It’s about a two thousand dollar swap from SMG to manual is what I’ve heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

SMG has its good and bad points. The swap isn’t that hard, so if the price of the car is right, it’s not a terrible idea.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

M3 convertibles just never made sense to me. I guess you get to hear the awesome sounds of the S54 with the top down.

The SMG doesn't really scare me, but I'd probably convert it to a manual when it dies.

BTW, recently saw the most beat to fuck E46 M3 converible I've seen in a long time (many E46s seem to have taken it on the chin by bro-dicks who want to build a 'wide body drift car'). It was about 5mm off the ground, hammered fender lips and ill fitting tires, and the most embarrassing exhaust I've ever heard on a BMW.

Seriously, it sounded like a beater 1995 Civic with the biggest, loudest fart can you can imagine. Even my family, who don't really know anything about BMWs (and defnitely not M3s) were like - I don't think it's supposed to sound like that? No. No it's not..

So at the very least, even though it's an SMG vert - all it has to be is "not a beater 'drift' car" and it should hold it's value. lol
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X