Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder Bolt-up to Pedal Assembly

Hey everyone,

My E30 had an engine swap and new clutch less than 2 years ago I drove really far last weekend no problems but during a short drive after the fact the shifter started sticking and I was unable to shift into 1st through 3rd gear. A reputable BMW shop owner alarmed me by telling me I was letting my clutch drag because my vehicle was missing the clutch assembly spring. I read the forums re the spring and was skeptical it was the issue but decided to perform the spring install anyway.

In order to get around the master cylinder to install the spring I unbolted it from the pedal assembly I tried briefly to take the assembly out having unbolted everything from the body but I realized I couldn't take out the pedal assembly without tearing down more so I rotated the pedal assembly enough to get the spring in place instead of taking out the whole pedal assembly.

Bolting everything up went smooth until I had to affix the two (10mm, I believe) bolts on to the petal assembly (not the main one to the clutch pedal). I tried with great effort but I can't get them to line up/ screw on. I can get the top one or the bottom one but not both. The back bolt is also particularly frustrating since the gas pedal line is in the way...

In any case, I am wondering if I bent the master cylinder or the bracket area in the process of installing the spring? I don't feel it is wise to run the master cylinder with only one of the two small bolts in but I'm getting desperate. Can I run one small bolt with the large main bolt? Should I try to fabricate the mounting area somewhat with other screws?

Further, I inadvertently bled the brake fluid line connecting from the reservoir to the master cylinder when I disconnected it. The plastic connecter on the master cylinder looks fine and I have more break fluid but do you think there is enough air in the system requiring me to bleed the clutch system? Could I just pump the clutch a bunch to bleed any air?

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by E-30k; 04-20-2019, 10:59 PM.

Update

I was able to affix the clutch master and I didn't bleed the clutch system.

It appears the clutch master cylinder is difficult to get in place with the spring since there is pressure on it. I was able to get it in by setting the first small bolt closest to the firewall without screwing it too far.I then attaching the bolt at the top of the master to the clutch pedal. I then placed the second small bolt in as far as I could by hand then I cranked them with a socket wrench adjusting the pressure on the master by moving the clutch pedal down a bit until they were through.

I hope this helps someone if they are also struggling with this process.

Comment

Originally posted by E-30k View Post
      I was able to affix the clutch master and I didn't bleed the clutch system.

It appears the clutch master cylinder is difficult to get in place with the spring since there is pressure on it. I was able to get it in by setting the first small bolt closest to the firewall without screwing it too far.I then attaching the bolt at the top of the master to the clutch pedal. I then placed the second small bolt in as far as I could by hand then I cranked them with a socket wrench adjusting the pressure on the master by moving the clutch pedal down a bit until they were through.

I hope this helps someone if they are also struggling with this process.
      Where is the clutch spring? I am replacing my master cylinder but am also curious to know if my pedal shooting the floor might also be caused by a missing/broken spring.

Comment

Hey ethirtysix36,

Sorry, I gotta work on my notification settings. Adding the new spring to my petal assembly helped keep the petal up nice and tight, however, my petal assembly never went straight to the floor so it sounds good you're addressing the master. Here's a link https://youtu.be/Iaf32pAkEnY to a video that helped me a lot in understanding the petal assembly and the location of the detense spring. The spring is located at the top of the clutch petal. I used zip-ties to compress my spring outside the car then cut them after lining the spring up properly in the car so I didn't have to fully remove the petal assembly.

Photos courtesy of Blake's Garage. Thanks, Blake.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X