No announcement yet.

E30 or E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just buy a Camaro then- at least the sound coming out of the back would make sense. Can't think why you wouldn't go S62 if it has to be V8....other than budget?!?

Comment

First car shown in post #10 is an e12 5 series.

Comment

In my opinion- the e28 is kind of a tweener. It feels like a heavy e30 with slow steering or a light e34 thats super un-refined. It doesn't check any boxes for me. If you want a fun/nimble car the e30 is the way to go but if you want a fun/comfortable car the e34 is fantastic.
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

lots were in bronzit color & look fab;D

Comment

I sold a e28 so I could buy an e30. I dont regret it

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
              At no point should a Chevrolet engine ever reside under the hood of a BMW.
              Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
              Why not just buy a Camaro then- at least the sound coming out of the back would make sense. Can't think why you wouldn't go S62 if it has to be V8....other than budget?!?
              Hmm... ubiquitous, cheap and indisputably very good LS engine in an E28 or more expensive, less durable, larger and heavier S62. If budget is not a factor then it's down to personal preference. Meh, no point in getting in a tizzy about stuff like that, purism is for museum pieces not cars you build to drive.
              Last edited by varg; 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

I had a 1984 E28 for about 5 years. It was a great car but I like the E30 a lot more. My E28 had over 500,000 miles on it with the original engine. Ran fine. Just everything else around it was wearing out so I decided to replace it with my current 325iX about 15 years ago.

I also had an E21 323i from Germany (that was fun!) and also currently own an E34 Touring. The E30 takes the cake if you ask me. As long as everything is working right. Only issue is lack of space if you need it. That's why I bought the touring as my second car.
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

I recently went from my 76' 02' to an 86' 5 speed 528e with an LSD in Bronzit.

I've driven a bunch of E30's too, M10/20 ect.

I like the E28 way better as an every day car. It's got the looks and feel of an old BMW, and the reliability of a swiss watch. The E30 is a fun car to whip around corners flat out, as is the E28. But it's a different fun. The best way I can explain how they feel is somewhere between an E34 and an E30. The steering is very E34, but the car FEELS like an E30, maybe a bit bigger for obvious reasons. 535's or 533's are total missiles on a road course with 540i brakes and coilovers.

The E28 is a total cruiser. I bought my 528 from a member on the forum (I would imagine he is with the E30's that is...) and put a timing belt on it just for safety. That with fluids and drove it 1400 miles in a day. Never missed a beat. 33mpg doesn't hurt either.

There's something about cruising in serene mechanical German luxury. If you're looking for a daily, get an E28. If you're looking to get something small and really tossable. Get an E30.

Since you're looking at a 528e be warned. It'll be slow as dog shit. However, I average 30's and high 20's in town. I enjoy that factor of being able to drive a 6 cyl BMW and get better mileage some new cars.
                  Last edited by Nesset; 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM.
                  -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                  -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

E28s are better hands down.

I have spoken. /thread.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Why settle? Get both.

Comment

I'm not going to say don't put a LS in a Bimmer, but I do tend to agree that it shouldn't be done. Because every car should have a BMW engine. :)

My X3 has a ZF transmission. ;) Only the autotragics are GM.
                        Last edited by Andrew325is; 02-10-2017, 09:00 AM.
                        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                          E28s are better hands down.

I have spoken. /thread.
                          Grissle hammer E28 swap. V12 528e plz.

Oh yeah. 25 bucks to fill my 528e's tank this morning and I got 400 miles out of it.
                          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                            Why settle? Get both.
                            That's the kind of thinking that has gotten me to where I am now.. too many cars and not enough space!

[emoji1]
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I like both, but the e28 is what I choose to daily drive. I enjoy driving it a lot more than my e30 on the road, e30 all day on the track tho.

https://www.instagram.com/m1ckee_/

Comment

Gorgeous. More photos and details?
                                '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X