Driveline knocking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveline knocking sound

So I just bought my first E30 a few days ago and I have noticed that there is a rather loud “knocking” or “clunking” sounds coming from the driveline somewhere. The sound is gone whenever it’s cruising. As soon as I put the driveline “under load” from a start or shift gears and “unload” the transmission it makes a loud clunk. If I drive at low speeds and “pop” the throttle it is very noticeable as well. It’s a manual if that helps at all. I’m not sure where to begin looking as I am new to E30’s. I know the Getrag transmissions are very heavy and clunky transmissions but this for sure feels like something is amiss. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!:shock:

more than likely the center support bearing (CSB). they are fairly easy to replace. you have to drop the exhaust and heat shields to access it though which can be a pain if your exhaust is really old and rusty. there should be plenty of diy documentation online for the job, do some searching.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

It’s going to be your center bearing on the driveshaft itself, usually you have 1 or more u-joints that’s binding up and it causes the center bearing of the driveline to wobble and destroy itself... there is no replacement of ujoints unless you have a speciality driveshaft shop around you, so usually you’ll need replacement of the driveshaft to remedy this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also look at the transmission rubber mounts. I had same noise on mine, found the mounts were completely separated.
        sigpic
        Steve Corbett
        1983 528E Scrapped
        1983 528E Sold
        1984 745I
        1984 325E - Sold
        1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
        1989 325I Zinno
        1988 635CSI

Comment

Working...
        X