Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on more affordable/non-traditional wheels

Good day,

Hello R3V! This is my first post!! Just bought my first E30 earlier this month and have been absolutely loving it (my ownership history to date consists of two trucks so RWD car ownership is... everything I hoped for and more).

Anyways, I'm hoping to get the community's feedback on some "cheaper" wheel options. As it sits right now the car is on pretty undersized rubber imho. I'd like to keep the wheels I have now reserved for winter duty, and when it comes time to mount summer tires, take the plunge and swap to a MUCH MEATIER new wheel/tire set.

I have decided to run square-stance 225/50R16 summer tires. I realise I'll need to roll my fenders to fit them, but I really want the sidewall height and width/contact patch. I'll also be raising the car a bit as it is on lowering springs right now, this should help with fitment as well. I came across mitchlikesbikes COTM after I made this size decision and immediately began drooling: his car has exactly the stance I'm aiming for.

So, I'm looking for 16x8 wheels, and I don't want to break the bank... ie. Alpinas are out of the question, as are re-drilled Style 5s unless I get REALLY lucky in the classifieds/craigslist. 5-lug swap is not in the cards for me anytime soon either. I don't like the idea of conversion spacers but feel free to try to sway me.

So I googled '16x8 4x100' and found some of the following repros or knock-offs for sale, what do you guys think? Will I burn in BMW-enthusiast-hell if I go this route?

ESM-001 rally/DTM style. Really like these.

"JNC" star spoked wheel. Also really like these, though I'm not sure if I should?! Haha

Not even sure what these are referred to as / who made them originally. Same style/design as what mitchlikesbikes has and gives me a VW/Audi-tuner vibe, for better or worse. I think they're pretty cool though.

Anyways, all opinions good/bad/otherwise are appreciated.

Furthermore, I'll eventually be asking in the wheel/tire fitment thread about what offset I'll need but if any of you have experience with 16x8 225/50R16 fitment and know what offset I should be shopping for I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers!
    Cam

hey, thanks for the appreciation man. i have been happy with my 225/50 setup but to be totally honest i might go down to 225/45 tires on my next set. 225/50 is just a liiiiiittle too big i think. the only problem is the only tires i would consider that are available in that size are star specs while a whole grip of good ones are available in 225/50 (RE11, re71r, etc)

the wheels that i have are avid AV-17s. they are replicas of the mtechnica turbo which are discontinued, but i think several brands make reps. the ones you posted are a different brand than mine i think judging by the center caps but probably pretty much the same. i would try to find whatever you get in a +20 offset because mine are +15 and i wish i had that extra 5mm because my rear tires BARELY rub.

overall most "replica" wheels are not horrible, but it definitely helps running them if you've got big meaty tires to protect them over potholes and whatever else. i have had my avids for about 4 years with no issues and i'm not even close to what you would call "easy" on the car so they're okay in my book. someday i'll have a real set of Borbet Bs or something but for now cheap wheels have been getting the job done just fine.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

this is my car with 225-50 on 16x9 et15 in the rear. The fronts are 205-55-16, which is the exact same height as a 225-50.

it looks a little big, but I guess beefy setups are popular now. I was thinking of an american muscle car with its beefy rear tires. I didn't want to do 225-45 because the tire selection is terrible and expensive

My next set of summer tires will be 195-60 on my stock basket weaves because these are pretty heavy and they continually rub in the back despite rolling and pulling the fenders. Also I'm not sure I care about the 5 spokes anymore, lol

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys. Delfin - are you at stock height or lowered a bit? I don't want rub...

Mitchlikesbikes thanks a million on the offset recommendation. <Shopping / googling intensifies>

Cheers,
        Cam

Comment

I have JNC 010 16x8 +35 with 10mm spacers in the rear on 205/50/16 Nitto Neo Gen tires. Im on Ireland Engineering stage 3 race spring, e90 top hats in the front with 1/2 coil cut off. I dont have rubbing issues as long as I dont load the car up with a bunch of weight, like people in the back seat cant happen.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Keep in mind that 1987 and prior e30s have different rear fenders. The rear fenders are higher and will allow more tire.

Comment

My car is on H&R sports in that picture. It has the rear arches of a late model so there is less fender gap

My rub is more from the offset than tire size. If I had a higher offset I'd be in better shape with these wheels and the tire size I want to use.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Here is another unorthodox suggestion - look for cool 4x108 mustang wheels and either use adapters or re-drill them. I know, "cool mustang wheels" seems like an oxymoron, but there are some decent wheels out there. Enkei made a lot of ek92s and ek98s in that bolt pattern. ARE made a few types as well.

Centerline offered the 5 spoke Convo Pro in 4x108/16" in various widths, you may be able to find a set of those around $300-400 used.

Comment

XXR 530s are fairly light and definitely cheap. The first and third wheels you pictured are quite heavy and who wants heavy wheels on a 2,800lb car?
                  Last edited by varg; 01-29-2018, 07:47 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

XXR 530s are fairly light and definitely cheap. The first and third wheels you pictured are quite heavy and who wants heavy wheels on a 2,800lb car?
                    What are the sizing specs on the wheels? I keep racking my brain trying to decide what I want to do in regards to my wheel setup. I love the xxr's, and haven't really seen anyone running them.

Comment

16x8 ET20 with 225/45/16 tires

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Hey turbovarg, are you stock height?
                        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

I don't believe so. I think I'm just a tad lower, though I went up 1" in the front since I went to 225/50/16 tires. No way to compare though.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Do you need hubcentric rings to run these?
                            1986 325es(Possible race car?)
                            1987 325e (the show car)
                            1992 525it (the new daily)

Comment

Yes. They have a bore of 73.1mm and the E30's hub diameter is 57.1mm.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                              X