Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M62B44,M60B40 heads & cams, Eaton M112 (now with NOS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a SPEC Stage 2 in my stock engine Fiero and a SPEC Stage 3 in my Northstar Fiero. They both chatter like crazy. The S2 is so bad I wonder if they shipped my a stage 5 by mistake.
    I will not be a repeat customer.

Comment

Speeduino parts are coming in. I'm still awaiting the 40pin IDC connector header jumpers in order to wire all of the In's & out's to the Speeduino Board to the BMW harness connector.

The Bosch 4 channel ignition driver is probably unnecessary since it will be triggering an MSD DIS box, but probably wise in case I need to drive the waste spark coils directly. That coil driver will be mounted on the underside of the case and will use the aluminum case as it's heatsink.

Because the Speeduino is 4 channel ignition and injector outputs, the V8 will be paired up cylinders. 1 & 6, 2 & 8, 3 & 5, 4 & 7.

The Speeduino also fires channels 1,2,3,4 in sequential order and it's up to us to wire injectors and coils in the firing order.

The M60/M62 firing order: 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2

Means that wiring would be

Channel 1 : 1-6
      Channel 2 : 3-5
      Channel 3 : 4-7
      Channel 4 : 2-8

I've got the 4 channel coil driver wired up to output pins for cylinders 1-2-3-4 as those will be the wires I'll use on the other end wired to the MSD DIS-4 and waste spark coils.
      Last edited by Mykk540i/6; 01-07-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Had to move all of my parts & tools to a new shop.

On the plus side, made the final payment on the supercharger to cylinder heads adapters and should be on its way soon.

Comment

Had a fun weekend, albeit a slow one. Couldn't break 15's, but if I had a few more runs I could have gotten into 14's...which would still be slow. I'd like to blame traction problems. But really the car needs more power, I'm happy to say I can start focusing on doing just that. I take a bit of solace in the fact that I beat the car in the other lanes both times.

Comment

You should be in the 14s or better with that trap speed... Your 60ft is killing you.

Comment

Awesome thread. +subbed, curious to see how this turns out!

I've heard oh so much about the M62/M60 hybrid, lots of big claims, backed up with dubious anecdotes. Never any real, hard numbers. Would love to see if it really lives up to it all or if BMW had it right out of the gate with a stock M62B44/M60B40.

Comment

From my understand the B40 heads have larger valves and larger cams then the M62...so there is still a be night there, even if the compression ratio doesn't add up to previously believed equations.

I'll post some updates soon, been a busy couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykk540i/6 View Post
                  From my understand the B40 heads have a little bit larger valves and a little bit larger cams then the M62...so there is still a be night there, even if the compression ratio doesn't add up to previously believed equations.

I'll post some updates soon, been a busy couple of months.
                  FTFY...

It's not like putting AFR's or Brodixes (Brodices?) on a Vortec 350... more like putting the M50 manifold on an S52.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                    ...It's not like putting AFR's or Brodixes (Brodices?) on a Vortec 350... more like putting the M50 manifold on an S52.
                    This is very true. The valve size and cam durations are slightly larger. Probably not worth the trouble of locating, cleaning, rebuilding and installing the B40 heads.

However I've already got them and I'm gonna run with them.

For now I'm still working on the steps to convert the system to the standalone, so it'll be ready for the boost of the new engine.

Speeduino hooked up the the DME harness for Plug'n'Play

Installing the MSD DIS-4 and waste spark ignition coils:

Kinda goofy looking, but it definitely grabs your attention, make you stop and ask "WTF is going on here"

That cyl #1 ignition lead is a tad long and I'll shorten it up in a bit.

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Just noticed you're in Prescott.

Was this car posted in CL? I have a couple of Bimmer friends up in the area, one with an E30 and the other with an Avus Blue E36 M3. Not sure if you know them or not.
                        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
                          Just noticed you're in Prescott.

Was this car posted in CL?
                          Yes, and yes. I've listed the car for sale, I figure I can sell the car. Finish the engine build and get started on the roadster project I have in mind using this SC'd M62.

As long as I've got the car I'm going to keep moving forward on the projects I've already started with it. If I still have the E34 by the time the M62 is ready it'll likely end up in there too for a while.

I know a couple E30's up here, the E36 doesn't sound familiar.

Comment

Success, the full MSD ignition works. Feels kind of ridiculous looking out of the windshield to a bunch of ignition coils. But it runs smoother, idles easier and smoother.

Video from the the first fire up. Really thankful the idea worked without a bunch of diagnosis and wire chasing.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

With the 4 channel waste spark functional it's now on to the Speeduino EFI install. I'll have some time in a couple of weeks to work on that. Perhaps by then more engine parts will have arrived too.

Comment

M62 with M60 double roller timing sprockets & guides.

Comment

Making headway on the standalone ecu.

Installed an OE throttlebody with TPS, wired in the harness. I previously converted TPS to MAP and tune the Bosch Motronic to use MAP signal. The Speeduino is Speed Density and won't allow me to tune accel enrich for MAPdot just TPSdot.

For ease and time I decided to simply just hardwire Speeduino into vehicles original harness. Turning the 80+ some odd wires going to and from the DME down to a basic 20 wires to run the engine.

Haven't fired up yet. Still testing and setting up sensor values. I am already getting Crank sig, Cam sig, TPS sig.

It'll crank and it'll spit and sputter, I'm getting fuel and spark...just not delivered at the correct time to run.

When I get some more time next week I'll keep dialing things in and hopefully running well enough to let the automatic VE tuning do it's thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X