No announcement yet.

HOw TO JUMP FUEL PUMP RELAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am not saying this is going to take till may, i have a laundry list of other things i need to do after this and i am taking entirely to long.

so what i have found is that DME pin 18 has power IF one of the DME grounds is not connected to the intake manifold (pass shock tower for i models). that same ground reads 12v for reasons unknown, but only when the main relay is connected. this means the main relay is toast, correct?

i checked for continuity between the ground and positive terminal and it only tests positive with the relay connected so the short is caused by the relay.

it is just weird because the relay was fine before i pulled the engine. though it does look as though it could be the original 30 y/o relay.

just waiting on a new one to test my theory.

Comment

also i just realized there is something loose in the relay. I am no electrical savant, but i am pretty sure the main relay should not double as a maraca.

good call Mitch, i tend to overcomplicated things when it comes to electrical diagrams.

hopefully that is the only thing that is the matter with the system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21v15d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	7193664

Comment

It's possible you dropped the harness or bumped the relay on something and broke it internally while doing the engine swap. It's worth a shot at least.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
        IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

unfortunately, that did not solve the problem, weirdly enough after i plugged in the new relay i the engine turned over for all but 1 second. probably from the fuel pressure that was built up by jumping it the fuel relay the day prior.

not exactly a loss; as stated before, the relay had something loose in the body.
          tomorrow i am going to go on a witch hunt for a short.

also can some one tell me if this is the correct way to wire the battery junction. it seems as though every e30 on the internet is wired differently

87' 325e
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	7193667

Comment

i have a question. my e30 has not been started for months so i decided to start it up (usually starts up) this time it just cranks away.

so i jumped the fuel pump relay and i can hear the pump on the inside. but i went to check the outer and nothing.

i have spark, battery was fully charged. in assuming if i have spark my cps is working.

if i jump the relay should both fuel pumps turn on or just the 1 on the inside?

Comment

Working...
            X