*Updated & only kinda shitty now!* The definitive 5.0/302 swap guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
    mind posting a picture of your bracket? In the middle of making mine right now, the one I was gonna copy from rosewood/daze isn't going to work without major clearancing in the trans tunnel. Decided to make a bracket that bolts on to the tranny to bellhousing flange, then up to the 'front' hole that rosewood/daze used.

I"ll post a pic when I figure out how. I fabbed a C shaped bracket that 2 of the trans/bellhousing bolts go thru. Then welded angle iron to it to provide a surface to bolt a Dorman CS37498 slave cylinder against. It's a 3/4 " bore slave with the bleeder and input facing rearward instead of into the tunnel. I also made a pushrod from a bolt and moved it inboard on the fork for better trans tunnel clearance.

Comment

That's almost exactly what I did
      sigpic

Comment

Finished making my bracket last night, turns out it flexes a little bit. Also, I think I've got some air in the slave or something because the bitch won't disengage. Maybe not enough preload. I'll take a picture once I've got it working, but it's not pretty... almost zero clearance between the trans tunnel and the slave now. Damn near impossible to get to the bleeder.

Comment

I made my bracket out of square tubing.
          sigpic

Comment

e30 v8 mounts?

I read that e30v8.com is not making them anymore?

does anybody have a lead on some for sale or have any measurements they would care to share?

Comment

Originally posted by corkmoto View Post
              I read that e30v8.com is not making them anymore?
              Really? Well I guess that's not the worst thing in the world, lol.

The e30v8 CD did come with a diagram to make the mounts, but I'm not sure if posting them would be a no-no or not... depends on if they went out of business I guess? I'm gonna hold off on posting them until someone can come up with a verdict on that.

Comment

My Lemons car:
                sigpic

Comment

Lol that's one big ass air cleaner... how much hood did you have to cut out ;)

Also, did you find the oil cooler to be necessary? How much airflow do you think you're getting with it positioned there?

Got more shots of the car? I think I spy an interesting paint scheme

Comment

Since it's a track only car I wanted the oil cooler. It should get plenty of air where it is, but I'll probably relocate it lower on the car this Spring and close off that headlight hole. Goes like hell in a straight line, now I gotta get it to turn better. Understeers like crazy.
                    sigpic

Comment

1. Holy fuck, that car is so bad yet awesome, I love it lol. How come you put a plate over the grill? I can't imagine that helps radiator airflow.... or is it just for transportation?

2. Turns out (at least at my ride height [H&R race springs]) you don't need a skid plate with the 302. I let a friend drive my car for a second time yesterday... he gave it too much gas and span out, jumped a curb and 'tapped' a tree...

The damage is surprisingly not that bad (diving board a bit bent up, rim of passenger side wheel a bit messed up on one spot, both exhausts got dented up) but somehow the oil pan remained intact... not a scratch. Also, amazingly, it doesn't seem like anything in the front end is bent... at least the car isn't driving like it is.

Also, the 302 pans are stamped steel, not cast aluminum - they typically dent, usually only shear with severe abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                        1. Holy fuck, that car is so bad yet awesome, I love it lol. How come you put a plate over the grill? I can't imagine that helps radiator airflow.... or is it just for transportation?
                        There's no plate, just a wire mesh grill I made. Cooling on that car is not a problem. I've thought about closing off the top entirely. Once out of the track I left the fan on and temps never got above 160. Later we discovered the radiator was only half full of water (timing cover leak) and temps stayed right where they should have on the track. I can bring the temps down 30* in under a minute when I turn the fan on...

It looks botched together (and it mostly is) because it's a Lemons car, but it's a little better thought out than it seems.
                        sigpic

Comment

funfgan modified a regular m20 plate to fit his car - i think all he did was cut a hole out to get to his drainplug

Comment

Finally able to pickup my explorer short block later today.

Comment

Change the valve springs http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt...it-hyd-roller/
                              sigpic

Comment

I'll grant that the gt40 heads flow better than the e7 joints... but you should probably just buy heads :D

Comment

Working...
                                X