OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
    The 2rz-fe isn't as smooth compared to the 22re but still one damn good engine!
    Lol my 3VZE was rated at the same power as the 3RZ-FE. With two more cylinders. Makes me appreciate the m20, if anything

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

THAT FLEX DOH!

Comment

My DD - '97 Landcruiser, last year for SA up front. Has all the requisite "mall cruiser/poser" goodies - the lockers, lift, gears, armor, winch & tons else.
        It's been golden to me, only left me kicking rocks 1 time in 13+ yrs owning.

Old pic, has more stuff now & more trail pinstriping:

And Chris nailed it - overdrive is a tall gear, drop down & it's like it grew 40 hp.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Hey guys, school me on this. I have a son who wants to give up God's chariot for a jeep ... Since I foot the bill for this 17 year old miscreant, I'm looking for a more reliable substitute. Recommendations on years / models to consider?
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

3rd Gen 4runner hands down.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post

Why? Easier to work on or more reliable?
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Both. Very serviceable and very reliable. I have 230k and just done timing belts, brakes and one rear axle seal. Running strong.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Unoffically sold one of my e30s to get this guy.

OG everythang.
                  Attached Files

Comment

LINUS, RUFFLZ... beautiful trucks. I especially wanted a white 4Runner when I was shopping. Mine's actually white under the bedliner paint, so if I wait long enough it will be white again.

This isn't 100% Toyotas, but here's a video from a trip we took out wheeling. My friends have a SASed 87 4Runner that's pretty fun.

91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

I hate this thread :(
                      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                        Why? Easier to work on or more reliable?
                        The 5VZ-FE V6 is a decent engine. Gas pig though. I have no experience with the 4 cylinder variants. I have done the timing belt on the old 3VZ-E engine, and it is simple, so I cannot see the 5VZ-FE being any more difficult.

Unfortunately they have a few issues. Premature rot on the rear diff in rust prone provinces and states.

The dreaded Strawberry Milkshake. Happens if the coolant system isn't maintained properly. The transmission cooler line runs through the radiator and it will eventually fail. Water, coolant and ATF are not friends inside of a transmission casing.

I miss my old pickup. Unfortunately she rotted out from under me. I would love to get another one and build a DOM steel frame for it. I have also been mulling over the idea of dropping a stroked and turbo'd M20 into the truck... Partly because it would be awesome, partly to see slammin's reaction.
                        1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
                        2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
                        2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Yeah I would rather have the 2.7L 4 banger in my 4runner. It has a timing chain too like the old 22re.

A $70 B&M transmission cooler kit fixes the strawberry milkshake problem before it happens. And if you get a 5 speed truck, you don't even have the issue.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
                            Hey guys, school me on this. I have a son who wants to give up God's chariot for a jeep ... Since I foot the bill for this 17 year old miscreant, I'm looking for a more reliable substitute. Recommendations on years / models to consider?
                            Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by LINUS View Post
                              My DD - '97 Landcruiser, last year for SA up front. Has all the requisite "mall cruiser/poser" goodies - the lockers, lift, gears, armor, winch & tons else.
                              It's been golden to me, only left me kicking rocks 1 time in 13+ yrs owning.

Old pic, has more stuff now & more trail pinstriping:

And Chris nailed it - overdrive is a tall gear, drop down & it's like it grew 40 hp.
                              To quote Paris Hilton - "That's Hot"
                              I wish they had a more modern gearbox, and had selectable 4wd. The lack of these 2 makes them prohibitive for my 100mi a day commute. :( Such amazing trucks though!

I've actually toyed (get it?) with a 5thGen 4-Runner for my wife. Since she refuses to consider a BMW Wagon of any variant.
                              Below the radar...

Comment

Would not mind a FJ80 cruiser but thats about it and they are still stupid expensive for 100+K mile rigs
                                Originally posted by Fusion
                                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                                William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X